New iPod Touch 3G = iPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MGWeatherman08, Jul 20, 2009.

1. MGWeatherman08

MGWeatherman08 New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Hey everyone,

So this came into my head and I was wondering what your thoughts on this would be.

So essentially instead of having the iPod Touch 3G, Apple announces that they will just be selling iPhone 3GS without the phone. More or less it would still have the hardware of an iPhone 3GS but with the OS of an iPod Touch (and I realize they are the same but obviously with iPhone you have SMS and Call apps that you don't have with iPod Touch). It would be a brilliant marketing ploy.

When I got my iPod Touch 2G, it really made me want an iPhone. I really thought about buying one but I had decided against it because my girlfriend had really put her hard earned money into buying me my iPod Touch and I didn't want to upset her. (Plus I kinda hate AT&T) I can't be the only one that feels this way either. I bet that this whole forum should really be called "wanna-be iPhone users fans", no offense to anyone I really do love my iPod Touch, can't live without it.

Going back to the point, so if you wanted the new iPod Touch 3G you would go out and buy the iPhone 3GS with the "dumbed down" software package (a.k.a. iPhone 3GS without the Call and SMS apps) and obviously without a AT&T SIMM card. BUT you keep the phone capability there! That way when people go out and buy the iPod Touch 3G a.k.a. iPhone 3GS without the phone, people have the capability of upgrading to the phone if their little hearts give in. Which trust me, a lot of people would...

If not convinced think about it like this; if all these new features come true in the next iPod Touch. What is the difference between an iPod Touch 3G and iPhone 3GS?

Your thoughts?
  2. greysn0w

greysn0w Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    that's dumb why would apple discontinue the ipod and then make a sh*tty firmware version of iPhone so that its like an iPod but it's really just a fat sh*tty firmware versioned iPhone
  3. Xtreme Touch

Xtreme Touch Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No, Just no....
  4. Dust

Dust New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thats kinda stupid, because the iphone also has other hardware like the baseband. an ipod is an iphone without calling and stuff. but why would apple but iphone stuff in an ipod? i say just keep it the way it is and when the 3G comes out, give it the new features like the camera.
  5. roxanaroxi

roxanaroxi New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    dats not going to happen
  6. kevipapo1

kevipapo1 New Member

Apple likes to keep a distinct line between their iPhone and iPod touch. Not gonna happen.
  7. lukeluke10702

lukeluke10702 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No if there were going to do that they would sell it to for like 600 because its basically like buying a unlocked iphone which is vary expensive. And the only way that would happen is if you sing up with a contract to get lower price you would eventually have to sign up for a plan for 2 years still... So a big fat NOOOOOO
  8. iPod Touch™

iPod Touch™ Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Jeez, people, people. Everyone is entitled to there own thoughts. Remember that. However, this happens to be an interesting idea. I do not think its is going to come true.
  9. personman

personman Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Probably not. As Apple has demonstrated several times before, they like to have the iPhone with more features to get people to lean towards it instead of the Touch. It gets them more money when people buy iPhones.
  10. Yongobongo

Yongobongo New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apple don't dig their own marketing grave like that..