[New Idea] iPod Touch 2G Jailbreak - NOT a jailbreak just idea!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ZhiZhi778, Oct 20, 2008.

1. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hey

Just got an idea for jailbreaking 2G:
    Perhaps an appstore exploit? Not directly and I dunno if it's possible to run:
    It's like "TIFF exploit" on 1.1.1 Firmware of 1G and I got this idea because of the almost identical method to kill windows xp's WGA check^^

You can install apps through appstore and these apps are signed - that seems not to be a problem since you can selfsign apps causing them not to be killed.
    Also everything that got through appstore will run. Of course cuz all is apple proven but now that is my idea:
    What about redirecting the servers? Appstore has to connect to some servers to download and install apps.
    So you perhaps can set up your router to redirect "blabla the appstores URL" to "own server with cydia or some testing apps on it and which provides to be the appstore server by apple".

Explanation: like you can edit your local hosts file you can also cause your network redirect apples URLs to a local set up server which emulates the appstore. Now you open up the appstore app on 2G, of course it will now try to connect apple's servers and it will be redirected by your wifi router to the local "fake server" with cydia/app on it. So appstore app will display only 1 app to install now you choose it and just tap install.

Of course you'll have to set price to free and also you have to fake apple's itunes server 'cuz you'll have to login. But all that shouldn't be too difficult - all URLs and infos needed could be easily obtained and fake servers are set up easily. All the fake servers have to are to give the right answer like "app is free" or "user login successfull and has blabla funds"

But first we'll have to make sure if it is possible or not. The question is if cydia/any other app will run or does the appstore apps are limited?-> And also I think it should be possible to tell appstore.app what it should do during install. For example to give root permissions or sth else. Or to install to somewhere else. Of course apple forbid all installations that do such things but since we faked the servers where all apps and installation packages are obtained from we can now define our own rules.

Ok...that was it,
    Now comments please and questions or critic is also very welcome.

Regards
    Mirror1
  2. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hrmm its a interesting idea. Only problem is that we would have to get root access, and find a way of signing cydia where the ipod would accept it...
  3. Totally 1337

Totally 1337 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
  4. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Please Register or Log in to view images

I actually had a very similar idea (which I sent a PM to Chronic about literally 5 minutes ago) but my idea was a little riskier, so I thought it best to keep it private.

First someone should try to redirect the appstore address - does anybody know what it is?

Second - would the "fake" apps run since they aren't apple signed?
  5. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I think signing apps would be no problem but you're right I'm not quite sure about how to obtain root access/permissions.
  6. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

First comes first though - do we know the appstore address, and could we set up a fake one? I guess that the problem you guys are setting up would come next.

If anyone knows the address the iPod uses, post it. Until then, I'll try to figure it out.
  7. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Figure out the appstores URL is easy- unfortunately I'm currently not in the right situation to do that. In germany now it's 2:27 AM, and yes I'm still awake and working^^ but can't do the following steps which I'm only going to explain. They can be done in minutes if I'm in the right situation.

1.You just can sniff the wifi traffic with a wifi card which supports monitormode (capture passive traffic blabla anyone who knows aircrack-ng knows that - btw I own one) and you'll have the URL (shut down your encryption for a few seconds to get plain text and that was it)

2.To set up fake servers is also easy for me (dunno what about you guys..) since I've got an extra pc as router which can be easily edited to redirect URLs locally (you know the hosts file) and then it's fine. The only problen is that we need to know whether the apps are able to run or not 'cuz it would be such a big effort for nothing if the apps wont work and are simply killed

@rafarguhar: can you also PN me your method though? I love risky methods^^ I'm not afraid of a bit illegalness

btw if they will work I'm willing to give the whole thing a try if one of the developers give me a modified copy of cydia or whatever.
  8. ThrowAway

ThrowAway New Member

Isn't this totally stealing from Apple?
  9. crazyfred02

crazyfred02 New Member

well what do you think jailbreaking is...

10. Chri5

Chri5 New Member

looks like a great idea, im currently newb so im just starting to know where your saying XD