New idea from the ol' noggin

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by WiLLGT09, Sep 24, 2007.

1. WiLLGT09

WiLLGT09 New Member

I just thought of the theory a few minutes ago, and this kind of goes along with my idea earlier about putting the iPhone software on the iPod touch. Now, instead of looking at the iPod touch, what about focusing on iTunes? If the both devices run the same basic software (to quote Gizmodo's blurb from an Apple employee: they run the "same damn binaries"), then there shouldn't be any incompatibilities, really. Now, with a software restore, the iPod and the iPhone goes through iTunes to load the restore disk image, correct? When the the request to restore the device is made, iTunes recognizes which device it is, and sends out a request to Apple's servers for the corresponding ".ipsw" file containing the iPod/iPhone disk images, and loads them onto the iPod (one question: does iTunes contain decrypting keys for the .dmg files or does the iPod/iPhone itself?)

What would happened if we hacked iTunes to send out the request for the iPhone restore software instead of the iPod touch restore software? Either from Apple's servers, or from a local directory or server?

Now, barring any hardware barriers within the iPod itself preventing the install of the software, we would basically have an iPhone (with some extra useless features, like uh, the Phone app). But the iPhone has proven fairly simple to hack and gain access to the filesystem, so couldn't someone then go in there to remove unwanted/useless apps...and Bam! an iPod touch with Mail.app, Notes.app, and device-side Calendar inputs.

What are your thoughts? Don't go all crazy if this is completely out of the park, it's just something I came up with.

Cheers,
    William
  2. dbusack

dbusack New Member

That might actually be a pretty good idea! If that's the easiest to do first, we could do that, and then until we hack the iPod touch firmware, we could use the slimmed down iPhone firmware with installer.app and things like that. I'm no hacker, but I know my way around some Linux terminal commands, so if you guys need to gather a force, I'm willing to join.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That wont work. I doubt it is that easy. It must have a security greater than the iphone, which explains why jailbresk dosn't work. iTunes will come up with an error, or you will have a bricked ipod touch.
  4. SoFellLordPerth16

SoFellLordPerth16 New Member

jailbreak doesent work BECAUSE ITS NOT THE SAME THING!
    it's like........lets put and xbox mod chip in a 360. doesnt work. i think this may be a good idea...
  5. WiLLGT09

WiLLGT09 New Member

Here's a little support for part of the theory from what I interpret: From the iPod touch Dev Team Wiki - "We now (think we) understand the new restore process -- the iPod Touch now requests signed images from iTunes, making it much harder to jailbreak in the same way we did with the iPhone." (http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Main_Page)

Does this mean that iTunes does in fact have something to do with decrypting of the software disk images?
  6. Placa

Placa New Member

Hey guys,

lets do a DNS Redirect? If I get my Ipot on 28, I will trace a bit where Itunes gets the image

cYa
  7. nintendodude

nintendodude New Member

unfortunately, there is a chip in the iPoT that is different than the iPhones, that contains the devices "identity".

think, you plug a USB mouse into your computer, the XP machine says mouse detected, not camera detected

Apple uses something similar but more involved for identifying iPods (down to the color). we would first have to reprogram that chip to fool iTunes into thinking its an iPhone, then deal with the Push vs. pull method of firmware flashing that the new iPoT uses.
  8. Placa

Placa New Member

No! We just have to check where the Iphone get's it Update/restor file! Then you setup a dns server, make a redirect from "link to ipod touch restore file" to "link for the iphone one". Well basically we have to take a look into the Iphone file to check whats in it(if signed and stuff)!

Also it would be interesting to see how the File is signed and if its full encrypted or not! If not, we could (if no checksume and signature is over the file) change the full Image.

Don't worry I'm good in this kind of stuff (some may now me from the psp or ps3 scene

)

Have a nice day
    Placa/Waisted
  9. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)

Keyword: "signed"

What i was trying to say is that the ipod touch wont accept just any firmware. Not only would you have to trick itunes into thinking its an iPhone, you would have to trick the ipod touch into thinking its recieving an ipod touch firmware, not an iphone one.

The ipod touch also needs to read a digital "signature" from apple, which would need to be recreated in the said "hacked" firmware.

I heard someone compare hacking the ipod touch to the psp. Its nothing like that, however. Apple is more computer savy than sony is, considering apple is a computer company. Apple's encryption key is probably far more advanced than sony's and the ipod touch's encrytion will be more advanced than the iphone's.

That is my humble opion. Take it or leave it.
  10. Placa

Placa New Member

Well I over see hat! But well you can't compare the secruity of the Ipod to the PSP! The PSP has much stronger encryption then the Ipod!

Why should I know this w/o a Ipod in my hand! Well sony are really feared of Homebrew, why? Simple you can run games from MS! Well why should Apple frear of homebrew? So I don't think the secruity functions in the Ipod are not really hard to hack!