New Google Maps App

Discussion in 'iPhone Applications on iPod touch' started by bryceisbest, Jan 19, 2008.

1. bryceisbest

bryceisbest Member

Device:
    iPhone
    a friend @ school told me that the new iphone google maps app is able to use gps to locate where you are on the maps. is there anyway thiswould work on the iPoT or is this even true?
    im guessing you couldn't do it because there are no antennas...
  2. partyboy911

partyboy911 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Its part of the 1.1.3 software update. For $20 you can buy the iPhone apps, and get the GPS which uses wifi location info to track you down.

You have to be on wifi.

Please search before u post.

(Btw, I wouldnt pay the $20 until 1.1.3 is jailbroken, because we could possibly get it for free)
  3. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

The GPS wifi thing is stupid... I doubt it even works, I almost guarentee it will say your location is the location of the service provider... IE my location is in calgary, alberta, canada. When infact I live in edmonton, alberta, canada. This would be because my ISP's main office is in calgary. I am almost 100% sure, without using the application, thats what it will do, get the location of your ISP.
  4. aLLeYRaT

aLLeYRaT New Member

I know that if you are on wifi on the iPhone, the location is very accurate. This however, is not as true when it is on EDGE. Although I haven't upgraded to 1.1.3 on the touch yet, I am almost certain that the location is more accurate than you make it out to be.
  5. seveniron

seveniron New Member

The location has been very accurate for me. I have tried in many different locations around Montreal and the map showed a circle around my location each time I requested it.
  6. bryceisbest

bryceisbest Member

Device:
    iPhone
    im going to virtually punch the next person in the face who tells me to search. its getting rediculous. i use search all the time. i never get help anymore i just get told to search when i do anyway most of the time.
  7. pmag

pmag New Member

How long does it take for it to pinpoint?
  8. hypnotiza23

hypnotiza23 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    How do you virtually punch someone in the face?

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. admkenshin

admkenshin New Member

It's not GPS, it connects to a database of stored locations of Wi-Fi Networks.
  10. Recon

Recon New Member

I agree man, It's like a weird cult thing the geeks on this forum have going on!