NEW easy icon eraser brush!

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by berky93, Mar 15, 2008.

1. berky93

berky93 New Member

NEW easy icon maker eraser brush!

I wanted a really easy way to turn any image I felt like into a perfect icon. so I took a rather large, simple icon shape I had and using some alpha and contrast tools made this eraser brush for gimp (and others, only tested with gimmp, plus its saved as .gbr so it will need conversion for photoshop)

First find your image and apply any changes you want to the icon area (such as adding that little half-circle reflection or maybe a slight gradient)

Please Register or Log in to view images

now select eraser and select the icon brush (it will appear as a kind of thick outlined square)
    find where you want your icon and then 1 click is all thats needed

now use a different eraser tool to remove the rest of the background, or just use a square selection tool to copy the image into a new document. after that you can resize it.

also, my brush makes a 239x239 icon, which makes for easier editing and smoothing. if you want, edit the brish file to make it a different size (like 60x60 for super eazy icons) but remember, the actual image size for the brush is 249x249, which means that a 60x60 brush wouldnt make 60x60 icons. I dont know what exactly the image size must be for perfect icons, so experiment!

EDIT: I also have the same brush but an actual 239x239 image with no border(just corners) that you can use to take the corners off of an existing 239x239 soon-to-be-icon image. of course resizing this to 60x60 would also be easy. - see below for the icon edger

Attached Files:

2. FregoS

FregoS New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Lol, nice i don't use gimp, so won't use it, but its a nice idea
  3. Cstsxyfry212

Cstsxyfry212 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thank you so much, I've been looking all over for this!!!
    it would be great if I could use this on photoshop (if anyone can convert this or tell me how to, thanks) or if someone could tell me how to get gimp installed on a mac (intel) cuz whenever I try to it says "where is X11" and it opens up a box to browse my files

Thanks!!
  4. therobinsonator

therobinsonator New Member

purdy sick man
  5. berky93

berky93 New Member

hey thanks. I figured something like this was the perfect thing to release to the designers here, because icons are used in EVERYTHING on this site (plus I was getting lazy)

anyway I think all you need to do to change it from a gimp brust to photoshop is to open it in photoshop or gimp and then save it as [brushname].[whatever the ending for photoshop brushes is]
  6. therobinsonator

therobinsonator New Member

making a phs cs3 one would make my day
  7. berky93

berky93 New Member

I've had a lot of requests for photoshop brushes - but I dont have photoshop. can someone please tell me the file type for a photoshop brush?
  8. Joseph

Joseph Retired Moderator

9. berky93

berky93 New Member

ok turns out gimp doest know what an .abr file is, and therefore wont let me save it as one. someone else will have to do it.

10. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    okay, i have everything i need, except like how do i actually use this file as a brush? all it does is open it over my image and nothing else