New DS Emulator: DraStic DS Emulator!

Discussion in 'Android Emulators' started by TylerDrgnHeart, Aug 10, 2013.

1. TylerDrgnHeart

TylerDrgnHeart Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4

(Be sure to read the Important Note at the bottom of the post!)

(Notes about current updates to DraStic will be posted over at the Compatibility Thread :))

So I was poking around the Play Store today and found a fairly new app... The reviews seemed promising (and not purchased by the developer :p) so I gave it a whirl. Here's my review of it :)

[​IMG]

First off, DraStic seems kind of pricey at $7.99 USD, especially for a DS emulator. Secondly, the emulator calls for a legitimately obtained Nintendo DS BIOS file, as well as your own legally obtained roms. Find these where ever you will, but remember, simply downloading them is illegal.

[​IMG]

After I got my BIOS file, I loaded up my copy of Pokemon Pearl in the emulator. In other emulators like DSoid and NDS4droid, the 2D sections such as the intro with Rowan, and Pokemon battles, ran at a smooth 50-60 fps on my One X and Nexus 4. But once you hit the 3D parts of the game, like where the character moves around in the overworld, it would drop to a measly 10-15 fps, no matter which settings I used.
    I was very skeptic whether this would happen with DraStic or not, but to my utter amazement, it ran damn near perfect! I was able to play at a speed that is very comparable to an actual DS. There were visual glitches in the game, like black lines appearing in the overworld, but they did not ruin the experience of playing at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DraStic can read DS roms in .zip and .nds form, so you can save space if you zip up your roms. There are a ton of settings, including the option to disable sound, and a 2x fast forward button. The in-game menu includes tons of different screen layouts for the top and touch screens, and a simple button to enable and disable touch screen input. The screen layouts are fully configurable, so you can move them around as you please.

[​IMG]

One small problem I had was that I was not able to slide my finger over the D-pad and have it change directions: I had to manually lift my finger and place it on the new direction I wanted the character to move in. Using the D-pad and A/B/X/Y buttons at the same time works just fine, though (I.E, using the Running Shoes in Pokemon).
    Edit: in regards to the D-pad issue, I've determined that it only appears if you use the option to display the screens in a portrait orientation. If the screens are side by side in a landscape orientation, then the D-pad functions as expected.​

One last, very picky thing, is that the app forces the system to always be in landscape mode. Even when you flip the screens and buttons to be in portrait, you can tell the system is still in landscape by my touch buttons. This isn't really that big of an inconvenience to me, but other people may have differing opinions on this.​

DraStic has integration with Google Drive for your in-game save files (.dsv), so you can resume your adventures for any game on any device! I personally haven't tried it yet, but if anybody else has, let me know how it goes!​

Overall, I think this emulator hit the jackpot for Android DS emulators. If you guys are feeling brave and want to test other games, feel free to post your results here and I can start a cumulative list of game compatibility. These game tests were run mostly on my Nexus 4, with a single test on my HTC One X for good measure. Both phones ran at about the same pace.​

You can download DraStic DS Emulator from this link for $7.99: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsemu.drastic
    Even in its alpha state (v. 2.1.0a), I am very impressed with it. Give it a whirl and let me and others know what you think!

As of August 16th, 2013, EXOPHASE has released a demo version of DraStic, which disables save-states, cheats, and has a 20 minute time limit, but it'd be perfect to figure out if your device supports the games you are looking to play. Get it from here :):
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dsemu.drasticdemo&hl=en

Game Compatibility List

All things regarding Game and Device compatibility have been moved here :)

Important Note!
    If you are experiencing issues with freezes and in-game lock-ups, then go to Options and Enable Sound. It may slow down other emulators, but if you have a decent phone, then keeping the sound on should make no difference to your gameplay.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Yea I saw this. Supposedly instead of being a port of other emulators for Windows, this one was made from scratch for ARM.

Every review I've read including yours gives it praise. I may have to jump on this....
  3. TylerDrgnHeart

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I haven't tested anything other than the two games I wrote about above, but my guess is future updates will fix these issues. It's incredibly fast and stable for an alpha.

I'm not an expert on how emulators are even created, but I know the difference between x86/64, ARM, MIPS, etc. Would the need and use of the legitimate DS BIOS have any contribution to its speed?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
  4. razorvlades

razorvlades Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Just bought it and... HOLY S***. This works perfectly! I'll have to test out some other games.

3mooonuel likes this.
  5. hamguy

hamguy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Gotta say, this emulator is pretty amazing! I found a semi-workaround for the Pokemon problem - I was having the same problem in both Soul Silver and Heart Gold. I tried a bunch of different combinations of settings to no avail. What ended up working for me was fleeing from the first battle. Every battle after that ran smooth as can be. I haven't tested any of the other Pokemon games, but I thought I'd post my solution here! I still crash every now and then when I use an item or enter specific (two doored) buildings.

Also tested Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. Got past the intro and first dungeon, everything runs perfectly so far!
  6. TylerDrgnHeart

Device:
    Nexus 4
    OK, I'll try that for Pearl right now.
    By crash, do you mean the game freezes, or the app crashes?

OK, in Pearl the first battle is where you and your rival are attacked by a wild Starley, there is no Run option... Thanks for the input for the other games though :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  7. hamguy

hamguy New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    The game freezes, and occasionally causes my phone to self-reboot. Oh, and the two games I tested are both (U)!
  8. 3mooonuel

3mooonuel Active Member

Device:
    Nexus 7
    All the games you listed work perfectly on my Nexus 7 (2012) :O

Even when using scr screen recorder the framerate is so smooth , 60 fps on 2d stuff and 50-60 fps overworld , when i record everything runs at 24-30 fps

This emulator is THE BEST *cries* lol
  9. TylerDrgnHeart

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Even the ones with the in-battle freezing problems? Maybe I should start a device compatibility list too...

10. pingu777

pingu777 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Is there like a hardware requirement? I want to try this on my brothers phone but its a little old.