New Cycorder Video Recorder App For 2.0+

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by gatonegrosky, Aug 22, 2008.

1. gatonegrosky

gatonegrosky New Member

It's better than the iphone recorder 3G that just came out, and it installs in Cydia

Please Register or Log in to view images

anyone has any more info on it?
  2. Tyr0

Tyr0 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Yeah, its got great picture, works on regular iPhones, doesnt record sound, but may be implemented in later versions (maybe for premium only).
  3. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    the video is kinda laggy in playback...
  4. Covenant550

Covenant550 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    finally a video recorder for 2.0. havent seen it yet but im looking now.
  5. Tyr0

Tyr0 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    haha, this morning videorecorder3g came out, works on BOTH iPhones.
  6. ricardofelix95

ricardofelix95 Banned

This app looks good.
    Ill stick with video recorder tho
  7. Tyr0

Tyr0 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    why not just use both until cycorder is done? thats what ima gona do.
  8. gatonegrosky

gatonegrosky New Member

the great thing about it is that it doesn't encode the video probably is because it doesn't have audio yet, but in the installer says that it's going to support video within next week!
  9. saurik

saurik New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Laggy Video Playback

Can you verify that this also occurs if you transfer the file off the phone? (Or even, just play it again?) Apple's iPhone video player is really bad at front-loading and tends to create choppy results for the first three seconds of playing a video back. Cycorder, I assure you, produces incredibly smooth results. An example video: http://test.saurik.com/david/1213997713.mov .
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I am not certain if I understood this comment, but just to be clear: Cycorder not supporting sound currently does not have anything to do with its ability to do real-time video compression. I, in fact, already have a version that does audio but am still working some kinks out of it. (I have been working on other things while I await Apple's decision to not let me in the App Store with this, and I finally gave up waiting humorously and not at all intentionally the day before iPhone Video Recorder released their application.)

Cycorder does MJPEG compression (the same compression you get in most point-and-shoot digital still cameras that also happen to do video) using the hardware JPEG compressor that is present on the iPhone (which, incidentally, is also how those cameras do it). This means that the quality, performance, and file size you get is going to be similar to what you've come to expect from smallish digital cameras.

iPhone Video Recorder, on the other hand, is doing software encoding of a lossier (but higher compressing) algorithm, which makes it take forever to yield smaller files (good) that have lots of visual artifacts (bad). Personally, I do not believe this is the right trade off. I used to take /lots/ of videos when I carried around my digital camera, and now that I've been relying more on my iPhone I'm just not interested in anything less than the experience I had already come to expect.
  10. optimo

optimo New Member

I'm sure the app kicks ass, wish I had an iPhone

Please Register or Log in to view images

Way to go, Saurik!