new controls for emulators

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by breakunit, Nov 7, 2008.

1. breakunit

breakunit New Member

emulator controls on iphone/ipod touch are considering it has no buttons poor
    the portrait design looks good but are cramped and not easy to use and the landscape controls are all over the screen although invisible unfortunately fingers arent but i think i might of come up with a new design
    ( i know my paint skills arent good

Please Register or Log in to view images

) basicly it is a landscape design but insted of making the whole screen the game i have put the portrait size screen in the middle at the sides will be where the buttons and sega decals will go tell me what you think and if its good enough someone might use it

Please Register or Log in to view images

p.s my paint skills suck and the picture is only a rough picture of the layout and not the final design

Attached Files:

2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    How about ZERO buttons on the screen.

Up down left and right can be controlled with the execeliromitor

And the action buttons can be controlled with gestures. A swipe across the screen for START. tap the top left for select. A,B,C,D, whatever could be taps in each corner. top right for A bottom left for B and so on.......

I would take practice to get use to the controls. But once you got the feel for it it should become second nature just like a normal controller.
  3. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

dude that would be WAY too difficult to memorize each gesture for each button

you have some good ideas like swipe to pust start *one way for start, other for select?* but accelorometer for both x and y axis would be too difficult for 2-d games like streetfighter. my suggestion would be to have just accelorometer controls for left and right *like what has been done with nes4iphone.

buttons for actions are still critical