New computer, same old iPod... don't want to lose anything!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by clock2113, Oct 3, 2009.

1. clock2113

clock2113 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My hard drive died, so I had to reinstall my operating system (went with Snow Leopard this time)...

I'm worried that when I plug my iPod in, iTunes is going to erase everything...

It's jailbroken, and full of apps - free apps, paid apts, and cydia apps...

I don't mind losing music, photos, contacts, calendars: I have those on another hard drive.

But I don't want to lose my paid apps... and I REALLY don't want to lose my game saves... it's taken months to unlock the hardest levels in Blocked!
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    If you log into your iTunes account, then you will be able to download all your games, but you won't have any saved games.
  3. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    you could get all your itunes library stuff if you only had access to some files, but since you dont, id recommend using one of those hundreds of sharewares out there to get all your music n videos back, or use ifun box to get the photos,

if you dont restore you wont lose you saved games, just make sure you dont sync any app
  4. clock2113

clock2113 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Some of them any ways... Some of them will say expired since I've already authorized them on 5 of 5 computers (not really; I've only upgraded my computer twice, but somethng about the hackintosh I use set it as a new computer) so I'm going to lose about $35 worth of apps I paid for... yay DRM!!

But honestly I'm alot more concerned about my saved games and data for apps...

I already have music, videos, and photos saved on another hard drive, so I can just put them back on...

How do I it without syncing apps? Does that mean I can never put any more apps on?
  5. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    well, in itunes, just uncheck Sync Applications and the ones in your ipod wont be erased.

then, SSH or use iFunBox to get all your apps data to a folder on your computer.
    move /var/mobile/ to a folder

then make sure all the apps you have in your ipod are also in itunes library

when you have already checked that, sync them, all the data like savegames and everything will be gone

then just get that stuff you ssh´ed back into the same folder in your ipod, respring, and youll be ready to go!!

hope you understood

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. clock2113

clock2113 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay cool, think I got it!
  7. JIMIneitor

JIMIneitor Banned

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    tell us if it worked
  8. clock2113

clock2113 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I backed it all up with FileZilla... but turns out I didn't need too...

Most of my non-free apps were installed with the patch that this forum doesn't talk about (because my bought apps all expired before)... and they all stayed on after resetting the iPod to sync with the new computer!