New Books.app is out!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by tsinghua, Mar 2, 2008.

1. tsinghua

tsinghua Member

Device:
    iPhone
    New versions of Books can be found in the following Installer source:
    http://thebedells.org/books/

Books' primary developer is taking some time off from the project. In the mean time, further releases will appear in this Installer source. To use this source:
    1) Start Installer and go to the Sources tab on the bottom right.
    2) Tap the Edit button, then tap Add.
    3) Type in the source URL: http://thebedells.org/books/
    4) Tap OK. Installer should refresh sources automatically.

If Books was already installed on your device, the new 1.4 series of Books should show up as an update to the existing version. Just upgrade and you should be good. If Books is not yet installed, then it should show up in the Productivity category.

The one quirk of this approach is that Books version 1.3.7 will remain as an "upgrade" to the current 1.4 version you have. Hopefully we can get that taken care of in the near future.

If you have any questions about this repository, please contact pendorbound at gmail dot com.

You can also download it directly from this link:
    http://www.thebedells.org/books/Books-1.4-pre03-r274.zip

It supports landscape display now. There is a button at the bottom where the display can be switched between landscape or portrait.
  2. theballonman

theballonman New Member

cool ty for posting
  3. moosh

moosh New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Where do the books go? Its no longer recognizing my books.
  4. Freefall

Freefall New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    thanks I'll give this a shot
  5. Campi

Campi New Member

YEs after so many time FINALY an ebook viewer landscape .... i waited so long... hope it works well now i can begin readin my 2 gb library hehe

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. mgsrocks

mgsrocks New Member

Well i updated and it didnt regonise any of my ebooks, so i just uninstalled them and installed new books...still not working. Iv set the permissions to 755 and am using 1.1.3. Anyone have any ideas?
  7. moosh

moosh New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Figured it out last night. 1.1.3 users need to put their books in: <root>/private/var/mobile/Media/Ebooks

And yes Landscape mode is working. Just click the button at the bottom to activate the accelerometer. =)
  8. tsinghua

tsinghua Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I had a problem with this update.
    When I tried to open Books.app, it would crash after poping up the window.
    After I reboot my iTouch, I can open Books.app and read my ebook collections only once. If I exit this application by pressing the Home button, I cannot open it again. It will crash everytime.
    But the 1.3.7 version works fine.
    Does somebody have any idea to solve this?
  9. Whosthatrandom

Whosthatrandom New Member

This command (enter it in an SSH program or term-vt100) will make your EBooks appear on 1.1.3/1.1.4:

ln -s /var/root/Media/EBooks/ /var/mobile/Media/EBooks/
  10. anubis2night

anubis2night New Member

O.k so I added the new source code and installed into /var/mobile/Media/EBooks/ to get it to work but can't find the button for landscape mode. Instead I get a dock at the bottom that let's me change font size, background color and has 4 arrow keys that direct the page where to go, so am I missing something here? because I was hoping for landscape mode and only uprgraded and did all this work for it, so if you guys have any tips for me please let me know, oh and the easiest way for me to do this was to simply download the folders for my books then reinstall them to the proper area. Hoipe that helps others. again many thanks for your help