New-b What IS jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by richardcav, Jun 30, 2009.

1. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I just purchased an ipod touch 2g after losing an average mp3 player. I'm in the process of learning "tricks" I didn't know applied to the device. For instance, my son showed me how to "pinch" the screen to increase/decrease the web pages. So I knew there HAD to be more tricks out there.

In the process, I found the term "jailbreaking". I've been trying to figure out what it means. What benefit would I have by "jailbreaking"? The only advantage I've seen was to change the image on the startup screen. If this is it, it doesn't seem worth the risk.

Any input is appreciated.
  2. augmiester123

augmiester123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Awesome!!!!

Jailbreaking is breaking the bond ur iPod has with apple and it let's you install 3rd party apps to ur device. You can get free apps, themes, widgets, and so much more. It is really worth it. Good luck if u plan on jailbreaking.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. richardcav

richardcav Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanx for your quick reply. where could i find these extras?

I still have to upgrade. Itunes' website said the upgrade was free, but when I tried to install it, it said I had to pay $10 for it. I don't mind paying the extra...what I DO mind is the inconsistancies of the company.

I love tinkering with gadgets, registry in the computer, etc so this is going to be FUN!
  4. Erod434

Erod434 Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    The update is free for iphones only but iPod touch owners have to pay

Please Register or Log in to view images

. You probably saw iphone update for free and thought it was the same for the iPod touch.
  5. Nathan B

Nathan B Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    What do you mean Inconsistencies?
  6. Kayzo

Kayzo Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)