New and Interesting discovery about what the calendar icon can display....

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by Wildman94, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Wildman94

Wildman94 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Well, if you are reading this, let me start by saying that if you haven't messed around with your iPod/iPhone at all, the calendar icon displays the date. But, I have found a way to change that so it displays something else. Here's the story:

I was looking at the tutorial for how to change strings in 2.0 manually (thanks for that thechungster!!! here is a link for those who have never seen it: http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83652) and followed it. While changing my strings, I found one that said CALENDAR_ICON_DAY_NUMBER_FORMAT. At that time, I didn't feel like messing around with it, so I left it. Later, I found a better, neater program to view the .txt file on and now that I got everything else with the strings working, I started to mess around with that string I was talking about before. The normal string is d, which makes the icon number the date. I started my messing around by changing the string to "a" instead of "d". Then, I resprung (thank god for respring.app being ported to 2.0!!), only to find that now, my calendar icon was displaying "PM", as in AM or PM for the current time. I continued to try different letters and found many different results:

a = AM/PM (only displays if you are using a 12 hour clock. If you use a 24 hr one, then it displays nothing)
    b = nothing
    c = day of the week (in numbers, ex. monday is 1, tuesday is 2, etc.)
    d = date (default)
    e = day of the week (same as c)
    f = nothing
    g = for today, it displays 546. It took a while to figure out, but apparently, the number stands for the amount of sets of four months since january 1826, with the number being increased by one at the start of the fourth month. But, i can't be so sure about that...
    h = hour (as in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc., up to 12)
    i = nothing
    j = nothing
    k = army-time hour (as in 1-24, not 1-12 [which is h])
    l = nothing
    m = minute of respring/turn on (1-60) (NOTE: It can also change, like all the others, by changing the time in settings [in this case, the minute])
    n = nothing
    o = nothing
    p = nothing
    q = For me, it shows a 3. I tried changing around the date/time like all the others, but all this did was change to a 1 when I put the date and time to 12:00 AM Jan 1st, 2038, which is the most in the future this can be put on. I need help trying to figure this out...
    r = nothing
    s = second (resprung 4 times to 15, 36, 48, and 0. when it was 0, the minute was different than before. besides, shouldn't s stand for second??)
    t = nothing
    u = year
    v = time zone
    w = week (Thanks to thechungster for help on this one!!)
    x = nothing
    y = year
    z = a different time zone thing
    any number = that number displayed on the icon (ex. if you make the string 27, the number displayed on the icon will be 27

EDIT!!!:Besides numbers, this also works with symbols!!! For example, you can make a smiley face as the displayed thing!!! Or combine numbers and symbols!! Secondly, you can combine two letters to get the result of each in the same display. Finally, you can combine letters with numbers and letters with symbols!!!! Just look at my pictures for proof!!

Here's how exactly to do this on a Mac (idk the right program to look at SpringBoard.strings on windows, so someone has to help me with the windows guide =/):

Needs: An FTP Client (Cyberduck is the best option for Mac, WinSCP is the best for Windows), Property List Editor (for a Mac, but it's on your Mac once you get it. Someone needs to tell me a good program for the same use on Windows...), and the application "Respring" on your iPod/iPhone (it's on Cydia.....)

1. Use an FTP Client (Cyberduck is the best imo) to SSH into your iPod/iPhone and navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/SpringBoard.app/English.lproj
    2. Copy SpringBoard.strings to your desktop twice (as in make sure you have two SpringBoard.strings files. One will serve as a backup incase anything goes wrong and the other will be the one you edit.)
    3. Change the name of the one you will use for editing to SpringBoard1.txt. And when it asks if you want to use .txt as the extension, say yes.
    4. Open SpringBoard1.txt using an application that's already on your Mac when you get it called Property List Editor.
    5. It should now display what the strings are for on the left and the actual strings on the right. Navigate to where it says CALENDAR_ICON_DAY_NUMBER_FORMAT on the left. On the right, it should say "d" as the string.
    6. Change "d" to whatever lowercase letter/number you please.
    7. Save SpringBoard1.txt once you have changed the string
    8. Hopefully by now, your FTP client is still open. If not, connect to your iPod/iPhone again and navigate to where I told you before. If so, you should still be there.
    9. Place SpringBoard1.txt into English.lproj.
    10. Delete SpringBoard.strings.
    11. Rename SpringBoard1.txt to SpringBoard.strings
    12. Open the application Respring on your iPod. Your iPod should now respring and if you did it correctly, the Calendar icon should be displaying what you want.

Here are some pictures to show you with the icon changed. The rest of them will be in a post made by me that's a few posts down:

What pictures show in order:

1. a
    2. c/e
    3. an example of what nothing looks like
    4. g
    5. h
    6. k
    7. m
    8. q
    9. s

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT AGAIN!!!:There's another string right above CALENDAR_ICON_DAY_NUMBER_FORMAT called CALENDAR_ICON_DAY_NAME_FORMAT, which controls the top part of the calendar icon. Y'know, where it displays what day it is?? Today, I toyed around with that and here is a list with my results:

AAAA = displays numbers, but I have no clue what this could be.
    BBBB = nothing
    CCCC = nothing
    DDDD = Number day in the year (as in 1-366)
    EEEE = normal day (the default)
    FFFF = I don't know, but on Sunday July 27th, 2008, it shows 0004
    GGGG = displays Anno Domin.... (continues on) for me
    HHHH = army-time hour (displayed as 00** with the ** being the hour)
    IIII = nothing
    JJJJ = nothing
    KKKK = same as HHHH
    LLLL = Month
    MMMM = same as LLLL
    NNNN = nothing
    OOOO = nothing
    PPPP = nothing
    QQQQ = displays which quarter it is of the year
    RRRR = nothing
    SSSS = numbers that change rapidly with resprings/time changes (but I don't know what the numbers stand for. But its probably something with seconds...)
    TTTT = nothing
    UUUU = nothing
    VVVV = nothing
    WWWW = shows 0005 for now, but when I change it to the month december, it switches to 0004. But its 0005 on any other month, even in the next year. So, I have no idea about this one
    XXXX = nothing
    YYYY = year
    ZZZZ = shows -400 for me, but i have no idea what it could mean

Just like the number strings, you can use symbols/numbers by themselves and with the strings. Also, I discovered that for the calendar icon number, you can use these strings too!!!! and, for the day name space, you can use the number space strings!!!!! And, you can use them together!!!! Pictures will be posted by me on the third page.

This can open doors for a new way of customization. Now, instead of only changing the Calendar icon, you can change what's displayed!!! What do you guys think about this discovery???
  2. sucram6791

sucram6791 New Member

this is awesome! i wont do it tho im not good with that stuff

3. JonTheAzn

JonTheAzn Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's pretty cool, but what happens if you try having two letters instead of one? Does it make a difference if it's lower case or upper case?
  4. Wildman94

Wildman94 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I did not try two letters nor did I try upper case letters. Just stick to lower case letters.
  5. emb531

emb531 New Member

Wow, one of the best finds in recent history, this could lead to how Kate changed the color of the Calendar icon, and even more. Great job!
  6. Wildman94

Wildman94 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    emb: thanks for the compliment!!

Anyways, I updated the first post with new info concerning symbols and the use of multiple symbols/numbers/letters. Look at the update!! Also, I posted 9 pics in the first post. Here are the rest of them and what they are:

10. u/y
    11. v (ET = Eastern Time, as I am in New York)
    12. w
    13. z
    14. the number "96"
    15. =)
    16. h+a
    17. the number "69"+e
    18. =)+a

7. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    wow. thats a pretty good find. and thanks for mentioning my guide

maybe a link to it for people who havent seen my guide yet?
  8. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Wow. This is a really nice discovery.
  9. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ooh i think i know what when u put w means. i think july 26 displays 30 because its the 30th week
    Edit: it is, ive just checked
  10. Wildman94

Wildman94 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Sure! I'll link it now.

It feels really good hearing that from a mod