NES, other emulators worth cost?

Discussion in 'iOS Emulators' started by sbelli, Oct 11, 2009.

1. sbelli

sbelli New Member

Hi,

I'm a total noob and just jailbroke my Ipod Touch and thought I'd like to try some of the emulation available. However, I wasn't aware that they cost money (unlike most of the PC ones). So I've heard mixed things about emulation on the Ipod Touch. That a lot of games just don't work very well with the whole touch screen control thing.

So my question is is it worth the money to get emulation? I noticed that the NES one is $5.99. If there's few games that even work very well, then I'd rather spend that $6 on some decent games in the App Store. Haven't checked into the other emulators for the cost. But it might be fun playing some oldies.

Thoughts on which ones are worth it if any (I'm assuming there must be some fans of them based on the activity in this forum)?

Thanks!
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I say the ONLY Emulator worth anything for the iPod touch and iPhone, is ScummVM. Its Free & Open Source AND it actually uses the Touch interface quite well, since its a point & click kind of interface. Whereas the others (NES, SNES, etc) require buttons. And lets face it, pushing huge transparent buttons on the screen that obscure your view of gameplay and isn't exactly the best emulation, I wouldn't find it worth it.

If you want emulation for those consoles & handhelds (SNES and others) get and hack a PSP. Much more worth it.
  3. sbelli

sbelli New Member

Thanks for your thoughts. Another question then, I can't seem to find ScummVM by searching Cydia and also can't seem to add the URL as a source (searched and found an old post with the URL). It gives me an error -- something about legacy not being supported. How can I get ScummVM on my Ipod Touch?
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  5. sbelli

sbelli New Member

Also didn't realize that there are SNES and PSX emulators that are free. Gave the SNES one a whirl. Really, not too bad considering no buttons.
  6. imranh101

imranh101 Active Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    I found that the GBA Emulator ran really well on my ipod touch 2g

With the couple games i tried ran almost perfectly, maybe every 5 minutes it slowed down a little, but was working fine again in 2 seconds.
    I really recommend it