Neodynium Magnets in Headphones

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by Danls92, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Not sure if anybody will know this, but figured I'd throw it out there. I just got an awesome new pair of sennheiser headphones (look for a review soon), and noticed that they have neodynium magnets inside of them. I know that this relates to controlling the drivers and all that good stuff, but that's beside the point.

What I was wondering is if there could be any adverse affects to the magnets being too close to each other? They are the same polarization so they repel each other, but if it could mis-align them or something of the sort, I'd like to know so that I can avoid having them close to each other.

Anybody know anything about this?
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Wow, I never knew magnets were in some headphones.
    I take it those are a really nice pair.

If they're the same polarization they SHOULD stay apart, unless you push and hold them together. They're strong magnets, so they should stay apart.
  3. Danls92

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I believe that magnets are fairly common in all but stock headphones. These cost approx $50, so while they weren't exactly cheap, neither are they top of the line.

In know that they should stay apart generally, I'm just talking about like when I wrap the cord around my iPod, and shove it in my pocket, at which point they might be forced together.
  4. andydam123

andydam123 Member

Aren't those the magnets that are so strong that they can crush fingers?
  5. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Even if they were I doubt there would be THAT big of a magnet in there

Please Register or Log in to view images

They're probably small pieces.
  6. Danls92

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Neodymium magnets are very strong (I have one with 250lbs of pull force, but it's about the size of the iPod touch), but the ones in the headphones aren't nearly that large or powerful.
  7. SiXAXiS

SiXAXiS Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Well, i dont think they will mess up, especially headphones thats worth a pretty penny
  8. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    There are magnets in all headphones, but of course the type and quality varies considerably between the £3.50 cheapo ones and the £500 pro headphones.

Anyway you can't do much harm by having them close together, there is a chance they could be slowly demagnetising each other, but probably not for the next million years (serious).
  9. JAD

JAD New Member

Tests prove they can interfere with pacemakers though so don't wear em near your heart. And yeah, being close to each other will demagnetise them but I have no idea how quickly.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Edit: I've actually wondered if there is anything in the iPod touch that could be harmed by them. Screen, flash memory, whatever.
  10. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Will they stick to metal? If not then I doubt they will do much harm to each other or your hardware "ipod".