Need to Replace Glass Screen, Question Before I rip it open!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kentl901, Jun 8, 2010.

1. kentl901

kentl901 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hey all,
    I have a first gen touch.

Not too long ago, I broke the screen.

LCD works fine and everything else is responsive. It's just the glass part that's destroyed.

I'm looking for kits on eBay. Just wanna confirm I'm getting the right stuff.

All I need in my situation is a new glass screen + digitizer. No need to get the LCD?

Lastly, the sleep button is also dead. It's definitely a hardware issue. Any direction as to how I can possibly fix it?

Thanks!
  2. AMurphy

AMurphy Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Honestly, the smartest thing to do is just upgrade your device, but wait till late september for new model. Your device is now obsolete (no more updates, bug fixes...) it would be smartest to just upgrade because eventually it would break again and it would be costly again to fix it. It sounds like your device has taken a sh*t load of beating too, do what ever you want, thats just my opinion.

Best of luck,

PS: keep the first gen as an antique

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. kentl901

kentl901 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Definitely took a beating, but for only $12. I wanna make it look pretty again!

The touch works flawlessly too. Superb battery life, etc etc... I just can't part ways with it... lol
  4. AMurphy

AMurphy Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    All right then, I believe the grey bezel is not removable. However if you need the new glass screen and digitizer, I don't think you need the LCD. I am not sure how to fix the sleep button though, try looking up on google there has to be something.
  5. rufuscarlin

rufuscarlin New Member

I just purchased an ipod touch 8gb 3gen from the local salvation army store. Has a passcode, but I am going to do a restore on it. It also have a spiderweb crack on the upper left of the screen. It does not seem to affect "touchability" but wanted to ask if I should bother getting it replaced. A local shop said they can do it for $60... does that sound reasonable?
  6. nitehacker

nitehacker New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    @rufuscarlin

actually, that is a pretty good deal.By the way, how much did you purchase it in the first place?