Need to Jailbreak w/o Restoring, please help

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by BloodRaven, Jul 25, 2009.

1. BloodRaven

BloodRaven New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi,

I'm new to jailbreaking (though have experience with manipulating firmware on my old iPod Nano). Currently, I manually manage my music. Not all of my music/videos are on the computer I use now, and I would not like to have to manually get my music back again. I was wondering if there is a way to jailbreak my iPod Touch 2G* (using redsn0w (0.8?), ofcourse), without restoring.

A few notes:
    -My iPod has never been jailbroken
    -I'm running OS 3.0 already (I downloaded it directly from iTunes)
    -I'm running Windows XP

*EDIT: Sorry I was not specific when putting my iPod model into the thread title.

I know that you have to restore to update to 3.0, but am not sure how to go about jailbreaking without restoring.

My main problem is that I cannot find the .ipsw file anywhere on my computer.

Help is much appreciated, and thanks ahead of time.
  2. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    You don't need to restore to jailbreak. You do need the corresponding .ipsw restore file for your device. Use redsn0w, which will give you instructions as you jailbreak your device.
  3. BloodRaven

BloodRaven New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I tried to jailbreak with redsn0w, but could not find the .ipsw restore file, unfortunately. I looked under the correct folders (C:\Users\*USERNAME8\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates), but could not find it.

What I have read is that you have to old down shift and click the Restore button and browse iPod Touch OS 3.0 firmware. Do I have to download the firmware first and then do this? And this will not restore my iPod, just the firmware, correct?

Thanks
  4. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Try this location instead:

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURPROFILE\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

If it is not there, did OS 3.0 come on your iPod when you purchased it?
    If your iPod came with OS 3.0, then you will need to download it from iTunes. I do not believe Apple will charge you for it since you already have OS 3.0.

Do not go to iTunes and DEFINITELY do not press the restore button. This WILL restore your iPod.
    Download redsn0w. It will ask you to find the firmware file. After you have selected it, you will be walked through the jailbreak process. Your iPod will be put into DFU mode and jailbroken, but not restored.
  5. BloodRaven

BloodRaven New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    No, 3.0 did not come with my iPod. I purchased OS 3.0 from iTunes (VERY dumb of me). I did a search of my whole computer and couldn't find any file with the .ipsw extension.
  6. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you go to the Control Panel, do you have 'hidden icons' set to be shown?
    If not, change it to make 'hidden icons' visible.
  7. BloodRaven

BloodRaven New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I set it to show hidden files and folders, yes.
  8. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    And you still cannot find an .ipsw file?
  9. BloodRaven

BloodRaven New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yes, still no ipsw file. Should I download one and then use IT to jailbreak my iPod?
  10. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    If you mean download it from somewhere other than Apple, then that would be illegal.