Need someone with BioShock PC and knows how to use/has audacity

Discussion in 'Customization Requests' started by l Red l, Sep 5, 2009.

1. l Red l

l Red l New Member

At the main menu of BioShock when you click on load game it plays a chord (going up). Also, when you back out of that load game menu back to the main menu it plays another chord (going down). I would like to use those for my unlock/lock sounds.

I've already attempted this with the 360 version. I had the 360 a/v cables plugged up directly to my computer with a usb adapter for those cables. I have the sounds but they are not very high quality after conversion from 128kbps mp3 to aiff. That's why I'm asking here.

It would be much better quality if the sounds were directly recorded from the audio from a pc. So, if anyone is able to help, I have some specific instructions for you:

1. Start up audacity and begin recording the audio from your pc (a stereo track). Then minimize it.
    2. Open up BioShock in full screen. When you get to the main menu, background music will start playing. I know there is movie clip that starts up if the controller is inactive on the 360 so I don't know if it is the same for the pc version. If a video starts up before the music stops entirely keep moving the mouse over the options on the screen (or just move the mouse around?) until it is completely silent in the background.
    3. Once it is silent, click Load Game and let the sound play completely (wait 2 or 3 seconds?). Then click back and wait a few seconds to get the whole sound recorded. Make sure that no background music got recorded along with the chords.
    4. Quit BioShock and go back to audacity. Stop recording and export the project as a .wav and upload it somewhere. You could highlight the area from where the background music ends to the end of the recording and export only that selection if you like. I will edit and convert it myself. And I guess I will post the final product here.

*If it's actually possible to run bioshock in a smaller, separate window then you could have both programs open at one time and just start recording when the background music is about to end. I don't know if the game would pause if you click out of the window. Recording the audio wouldn't work if it does do that.

I would do this myself but I don't have access to a powerful pc. BIG thanks to anyone who can help me.
  2. ipodfan256

ipodfan256 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Um maybe youtube download the video convert it to MP3 - AIFF
    or try looking in the bioshock folder if you it on PC
  3. Cheat_Code

Cheat_Code Member

Device:
    iPhone
    You could also just go into the mp3 folder (or whatever they are) and search for the sounds?
  4. l Red l

l Red l New Member

@ipodfan256: It would take too long to find a video where someone waited until there was no background noise. Most videos just start the game up immediately. Besides, youtube isn't very good quality.

@Cheat Code: Already have done this too. The majority of the sound files are packaged into .fsb files which you have to unpack then convert/decrypt. The menu sound files, however, are not in those packages. They are probably in the .bsm map files or the other kind of package file. Either way, there is no tool to unpack them to get all of the individual files. That's why I'm choosing the method above.
  5. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    1. Open Sound Settings in the Control Panel
    2. Go to the Master Control place thingy
    3. Click File > Properties
    4. Go to the recording tab and make sure 'Stereo Mix' is checked
    5. Set your audio card/chip as the sound recording
    6. Choose your audio card in Audacity
    7. Start recording and then start the game up
    8. Exit the game after you heard the sound
    9. Terminate the recording session am cut the parts out that you don't want

That's how I record PC game audio.
    Good quality, since you're pretty much recording the exact audio you hear.
  6. l Red l

l Red l New Member

Come on...someone must have BioShock
  7. sean.mayorga

sean.mayorga New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    why dont you use recordyour xbox hooked up to the comp in the input port?
  8. l Red l

l Red l New Member

There is no way to plug up the red, yellow, and white cables normally so I have to use an adapter and extra software. The software is really meant for recording vhs tapes so you can store them and edit them on a computer. But like I said in my first post the max sound quality the program allows is mp3 at 128kbps. The adapter only works with that program. If you record sound directly from the sound card on a computer and audacity, it will sound much better.
    Last edited: May 11, 2014