need some tech insight

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jarm, May 22, 2010.

1. jarm

jarm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    i got a water issue with a new 8g ipod. My son came home in the pouring rain the other week. He proceeded to tell me that his ipod had gotten wet and the backlight no longer worked. After doing a little investigating i put it in the rice and there it has remained for the last 2 weeks except for a few times that i pulled it out to examine it. Now i've read a few threads with people having the same problems. After a couple weeks in the rice these are the symptoms the ipod suffers from

The backlight - now given a long period of time untouched the backlight comes on for approx 5 sec then shuts off. This has happened about 3 times. I also notice i no longer have brightness control in the settings. The auto switch works but the slide bar wont move.

The touchscreen- the touchscreen works for the most part.
    i was unable to get the past the lock screen for awhile. i was able to originally but then the bar would only respond half way across the screen, failing to unlock. Today i was able to unlock if i slid my finger very quickly. I then shut off the screen lock

As far as everything else wifi, speaker, headphones, and itune seeing it, it all works

All these symptoms are indicate water damage. I have read some people have replaced the lcd and had no effect on the backlight.
    Has anyone ever had their backlight behave like mine and repaired it? And does replacing the digitizer fix the touch screen response issues?
    I bought this at christmas and there is no indication in the headphone jack of water damage but i dont have the reciept anymore so official servicing is not going to happen. And as far as backlight issues, everything sounds like SOL. Any insight?
  2. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Did he turn it on when it got wet?
  3. jarm

jarm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    he never turned it off no, he came to me with the way it is. the touch screen was not responding enough to slide the bar to shut off
    Now it is but that doesnt make much diff now. I believe the damage was done by that point anyway.
  4. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    It was still on when it was wet. There's you problem.
  5. jarm

jarm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    you wont believe this but i fixed it. kind of

I took it apart and took 99% isopropyl on a q-tip to the mobo hoping it to displace any water and it worked. Only prob was i had a little prob putting the lcd back plate back in and i should have unclipped the digitizer but i didnt and i ripped the ribbon....my bad... But the lcd backlight works once again. And just so you know i unplugged the lcd and replugged it in a few times prior to the alcohol and it didn't work then so im sure it was the alcohol.

Digitizers are cheap enough.....

Attached Files:

6. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    but it removed the brightness settings?
  7. jarm

jarm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    you know what, i dont know
    the digitizer is broken and i cant check the setting but i will let you know. All i know is the backlight lights up now.
    And it didnt remove the brightness setting, i just couldn't manually adjust it.

My daughter broke her screen like 2 days after my son got his wet.(costly week i was starting to think) I ordered her a digitizer from ebay. it should be here next week and its going in my sons and i'll order her another because although her's is smashed, it still works and she can wait,lol. Then ill let you know, till then boys
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ok maybe i can get some advice in regards to replacing the front.
    I ordered just the glass digitizer a couple weeks ago to replace a smashed digitizer. I tried salvaging the home button and the bezel frame from this one i fixed. It didnt work out to well.
    the bezel is f**ked. The button..maybe...I get the feeling i should have just ordered the complete unit. How are those ebay replacement units. There's obviously some price diff, 30 to 70 with shipping. is there really a diff in which one i get? china or usa qualilty wise?
  8. jarm

jarm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    ok i got the new digitzer today and i plugged it in.
    The digitizer works fine but there is no home button installed, so i have to turn the unit off to exit an app.
    The backlight still functions fine but when i checked the backlight settings i still cannot adjust the backlight levels.
    I can still flip the autobrightness on/off switch but the brightness bar will not adjust. The little dot will darken but it will not move. Wierd eh. It still will dim and shut off on autolock.

So i dont know...it must have shorted out that control but the isopropyl alcohol wash must have removed any moisture that was causing the backlight not to work. I washed both the front and back of the mobo if anyones wondering. This wash also followed 2 weeks in the rice, in a sealed tupperware container. This also makes me question the use of rice as the desiccant.