Need some basic guidance, for an enterprise app.

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by IpadDev, May 30, 2010.

1. IpadDev

IpadDev New Member

I am writing an app that must respond to certain text messages sent from a list people people who have permission to trigger the app. The app must be able to read the messages and interpret if they have the correct "passcode" and do the action that is requested in the text. The app will be running in the foreground at all times. I am developing this for OS3.1.3.

I have developed apps for the appstore but have never ventured beyond that. I would like to use xcode and not mess around with the toolchain if I don't have to. I have been reading these forums and other resources to try an understand how I could best implement this on an enterprise type application or an app for a jailbroken phone.

I have come up with a few ideas and would like some input:

I could hook into the SMS notifications using CKSMSservice.h but I think this would require a jailbroken device with mobilesubstrate to write hook methods. Right?

I could ping the sms.db periodically (once a second) since processor consumption is not really an issue. Is this possible?

I read somewhere on this forum that kCTMessageRecievedNotification does not work anymore in 3.0 but I was wondering if there was any example code for 3.0 that would be similar to what I am trying to accomplish.

Also are there any other resources that might help me figure out what would be the best way to implement my solution I would like it to be all in one app since it can run in the foreground 24/7 for this application.

Thanks in advance!
  2. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    First of all, sorry for not answering your PM

Please Register or Log in to view images

. It's nothing personal, I just didn't know what to say

Please Register or Log in to view images

To actually hook into the service would require a jailbreak and MobileSubstrate, but I'm pretty sure there must be some kind of distributed notification center. I think most of CoreTelephony has moved to Obj-C now, so you could look at CTMessageCenter.
  3. IpadDev

IpadDev New Member

Thanks, I have been looking into that and it has been working well. I'll post up my results once I get it all working just in case someone else is looking to do the same thing.
  4. founddragger

founddragger New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Total noob to this forum but not to SMS stuff. Maybe this is way off base, but if it's a big enough application (you said enterprise so I thought maybe there could be a lot of users) to warrant working the SMS side through an aggregator, then a server can handle all the text messaging logic. You app could still stay open 24/7 or just receive a push notification when it had to do something.

Sorry if this is a total miss on what you're trying to do. I've dealt with sending and receive SMS on the 10's of thousands on other projects and there a much easier ways to access SMS responses than through a reader client app.