Need some advice /opinions: ipod touch 1G and 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kyle8c, Oct 31, 2008.

1. kyle8c

kyle8c New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I was intending to buy a iPod Touch 2G 16gb until today, after I found a very cheap source of new original iPod Touch 1G 8gb(approx. US$160 only, which is almost half of $299).

Am just looking for opinions from everyone who has experience with both generations of iPod Touch. I am aware of the improvements as on the paper, but I guess prolonged experience with both models provides the best guide.

Storage capacity & external speaker aside, are there other improvements whch you think justify the extra $140? e.g. battery life (this is one thing I'm very unsure about, 'cause I've read aplenty of complaints regarding 2G's battery life)...

Thank you. Your opinions are much appreciated.
  2. bulungula

bulungula New Member

The main difference is bigger flash-memory. It's nice to have 16gb, but 8 are sufficient for me.

And the 1G is jailbreakable, at the moment.

external speaker, minimal battery life improvement, and a slightly different shape are no reasons for me.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Yes, try the search.
    And if you really couldnt find anything, search again.

Then you can make your own thread.

BTW, WiFi seems to be a little less sensitive in 2G than in 1G.
  3. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

well, 2G ipod touch cannot be jailbreak right now.

but 2G has the volume switch at the side.

and it has faster processor than the 1G ipod.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    make your own thread, so that other people can answer you.

it didn't happen to me before.
  4. andrewpiro

andrewpiro New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    the 1g is jailbreakable, and the 2g isnt. Besides the spearker, the 2g looks and feels better, has longer battery life and runs smoother. But i still got a 1g and it works great! so the decision is all up to you. Jailbreak, or not to jailbreak.
  5. kyle8c

kyle8c New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well I can make do without JB. I can also compromise on the storage, as bulungula describes it, "It's nice to have 16gb, but 8 are sufficient for me." (since $160 is such a good bargain).

Anyway, even if I were to compare a 8gb 1G and 2G, there is still a $70 gap ($60 if I purchase 2.1). Are there other useful/significant improvements that are not listed on the papers?

After browsing through some websites I think these are the questions in my mind for now.
    1. Is there a significant improvement in battery life from 1G to 2G?
    2. Is there a difference in screen quality & audio quality between 1G and 2G?
    3. Processing speed difference with apps?
  6. Lupevalenz

Lupevalenz New Member

How can people not put in the reminder that the 2nd gen has Mic-in capabilities, meaning you can get a voice recorder app or you can do VOIP as well. That alone is well worth the upgrade to the 2nd gen.
  7. Flipzter

Flipzter Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    2 friends bought the 2g touch. Both have to do the turn wifi on off on to connect. Batter life is almost identical to my 1g. Speaker is extremely nice to have and quality better than I expected. Apps dont appear to run any faster than mine. Loading time for theirs is much quicker, but I think that's due to my jb. From my perspective: Video quality identical. Audio from speaker identical. I have unlimited calls and dont know anyone in different country so dont care about voip. But it's a hell of a draw for people not on unlimited plan. volume switch is actually a really nice addition.

In my opinion I would not trade my 8gb 1g for their 16gb 2g. I have mine customized with themes and theirs is plain. I let them show their ipod off then i pull mine from my pocket and listen to the oohs and ahhhs. pisses them off.