Need help with USB Internet connection.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by asailant, Mar 27, 2009.

1. asailant

asailant New Member

There is a way, to connect to the internet with USB cable, but the only way is to connect to a WiFi network, and use a manual Proxy - 127.0.0.1:808. It works great, but I need to connect to my computer directly, because my Router crashes all of the time, and the USB internet does not work.

Question: Is there a way to connect to Proxy directly (or make a "dummy" WiFi network on the iPod Touch)?
  2. The Crow

The Crow Banned

Nope, it only works with a wifi connection and if you don't have a router or it is not working than no you can not connect via the I.P of the iPod to the computer with the usb cord.
  3. trashcan

trashcan New Member

you could although add an usb wifi adapter to your desktop or notebook and create an ad-hoc connection between ipod and desktop and use that then as internet connection.

using windows or osx, internet sharing isn't that complicated.

thats what i did at work *G* it works just great

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. asailant

asailant New Member

Do you have a link for this "ad-hoc"?
  5. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Google it. Seriously, there will be tutorials that will be able explain it better for your specific OS.
  6. asailant

asailant New Member

Woop, I Got it!
    This is what I did:
    1) Set up Ad Hoc in your Computer/Laptop.
    2) Downloaded this package, and started - SSH Tunnel.cmd, PROXY Tunnel.cmd and CCProxy.exe
    3) Connected iPod Touch to USB, then to my Ad Hoc network, and set up like this:
    IP Address: 127.0.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 225.225.0.0 /or/ 225.225.225.0
    Router: 127.0.0.1
    DNS: (your dns, or OpenDNS, don't care)
    Search Domains: -Empty-
    ---
    HTTP Proxy - Manual
    Server: 127.0.0.1
    Port: 808
    Authentication: Off

^ just if anyone wonders.. ^
  7. trashcan

trashcan New Member

honestly, i wouldn't use a proxy if you have windows xp for example. you can set up your wlan to use your lan network. your ipod/iphone or whatever will automatically get a legit ip from your lan, or if wish, you can set up a private wlan ip range for the adhoc connection. the problem with the proxy is, that not all applications run perfectly (in other words, there could be some problems with that) windows internet sharing works right out of the box without the need for some third party applications.

you can take a look into this (free registration required): http://whitepapers.zdnet.com/abstract.aspx?docid=175426

i'm way too lazy atm to write a tut for something like this. that whitepaper does go into how to set this up in perfect detail.