Need help with a wifi problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ides of March, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Ides of March

Ides of March New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    how is it possible that I am connected to a free wireless source and have 3 full bars on my Ipod Touch 4th gen and I still can't connect to the internet or apps or anything. It only seems to work at my house, and Dunkin Donuts lol.
    I can understand a locked network but when it is free how come I can't connect.
  2. samw40

samw40 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Try disconnecting, then reconnecting. Then go to safari and load something like apple.com. You might get one of those webpages where have to hit "i agree" abd then your connected.. thats probably not the problem though.

Are you jailbroken?
  3. shamrock

shamrock Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    some wifi networks are failures. they arent connected to the internet. they are just local hotspots. Its not a problem with your ipod
  4. Ides of March

Ides of March New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    No I am not, I have only had it for a couple days and I love it so much but I haven't really had time to go on it and explore it yet because of the wifi issue. However when I went to Dunkin Donuts after work today in the drive thru I went on their wifi and it worked.
  5. Ides of March

Ides of March New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok thanks. I was worried there for a sec. Cause like I said at home it works flawlessly.
  6. JLick

JLick Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ye just cause you connect to a router doesn't mean it's connected to a modem.

When I moved to new house, linksys was connected, but days before we even had service xD

So ofc, no internet for me, but it showed it connected
  7. samw40

samw40 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    It works for me at....

Starbucks
    Apple Store
    AT&T Store
    Culvers
    Barns n noble
    Sometimes Mcdonalds
    ..Etc..

If it doesn't work at any of those places, then its probably your ipod. Its unlikely though, because there haven't been many reports of wifi failures on the ipod touch...
  8. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Also, lots of laptops (older ones) automatically create a hotspot with an SSID of "freewifi". They don't work, and don't get you anywhere. Just thought you should know.

But yeah, reinforcing, just because your iPod says it's connected doesn't mean that it's connected to internet. If the router/hotspot isn't connected to an internet connection, then you have no internet too.
  9. OnlyAn8

OnlyAn8 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    This actually was happening to me the other day. Our internet at my house has been having problems for a few days, it actually just got fixed the other day. But when my internet was down, my iPod would show 3 bars even though it wasn't connected. I knew my iPod wouldn't be able to connect, as my internet was down, but it surprised me that it still showed connected. Very deceaving.

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Ides of March

Ides of March New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks guys. Sam, I haven't tried any of those places, there is a Barnes and Noble near my house I would like to try though to make sure.
    I am still new to the wifi thing and hot spots and all, so I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with my Ipod.