*need help* the ipod "ipod" couldn't be restored. an unkown error occured (1604)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FruitRocks, Jun 9, 2009.

1. FruitRocks

FruitRocks New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    okay i downloaded and installed the ipod touch 2g 3.0 beta 5. i used it, but then i wanted to go ahead and switch back to the official 2.2.1 so i could jailbreak it again. on my own computer (running windows xp pro) the ipod wouldn't show up in iTunes but it would show up in windows explorer. when i used a different computer, iTunes detected it in recovery mode (not dfu) and i downloaded the 2.2.1 firmware. iTunes then attempts to restore it but never gets past "Preparing to back up iPod "iPod" or something like that.

Help!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!

p.s. i don't know how to put it in DFU mode when the screen gives you the usb cable saying plug it into itunes (i also have a purple splashscreen instead of a black splashcreen, if that helps at all).
  2. 1337BUHMILLION

1337BUHMILLION New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Relax, no iPod is ever bricked.

DFU is easy and will let you restore from almost any state.

just hold both buttons at the same time, and after 15 seconds, let go of the power and hold home for 8 more seconds. then unplug and replug your ipod, and itunes will say 'iPod in recovery mode' or whateve. IF that doesn't let you restore, then manually choose the ipod firmware by holding down SHIFT, and clicking restore, and choose your ipod firmware.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. David.

David. Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Also, I believe thsi kind of thread has been posted over 100 times. Please search.
  4. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

The link to fix it is in my signature.
  5. Dan_Close

Dan_Close New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    i found that with itunes 8.2, when trying to restore a jailbroken image it wouldnt let you, so revert back to 8.1 and it will be fine

it did it with mine
  6. sandy7250

sandy7250 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    no it can even be done through itune 8.2
    i did it from ipod 2g os3.0 GM to2.2.1......
    its shame for steve job that he cant evn stop downgrading the firmware......
  7. FruitRocks

FruitRocks New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hahaha yeah i finally figured out the problem was. i wasn't holding down the buttons in the correct order to put it into DFU mode
  8. gidzhead

gidzhead New Member

Well

Had same problem but what i did was put in dfu mode and jailbroke it again using quick freedom hope this helps
  9. sandy7250

sandy7250 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    yaa it will work
    enjoy
    look what apple says about os3.0 gm .

Apple has also issued a warning that “By installing iPhone OS 3.0 GM Seed software on your Authorized Test Devices, these Devices are permanently “locked” into testing mode and cannot be restored to an earlier release of iPhone OS. Bear this in mind before installing the software.”

but ...............
  10. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Actually downgrading is really easy. I just put my iPod into DFU mode and shift-restored to 2.2.1 and it worked just fine