Need help setting up ad hoc connection

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wcstick, Sep 20, 2010.

1. wcstick

wcstick Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay I seriously need help with this. I've tried the Windows method and the Connectify method and both aren't working. I'm trying to let my iPod access the internet via my laptop's (Sony EB Series) ethernet connection. Yes I do have a wireless card (two in fact) and yes I've tried enabling shared internet connections on both. With both methods, my iPod would connect via ad hoc but would not connect to the internet. Only the IP Address and Subnet Mask are entered but the Router and DNS settings are missing. If I use Connectify, I would lose my internet connection on my laptop and my iPod would only appear as "Identifying" in the client list of Connectify. Can somebody please help me figure this out. Thank you!
  2. Spark1223

Spark1223 Banned

I've done this and it is really tricky. You need to get the correct ip, subnet mask, gateway, and dns. I think you can use windows to set it up. Try to not use connectify for now, just make the ad-hoc connection with windows and ICS (internet connection sharing).
    So

1.) disable everything and start over
    2.) Make a new adhoc connection, if your on vista or 7 it will ask you if you want to share your internet connection say yes.
    3.) connnect the ipod
    4.) remember the tcp/ip settings if it works and type them in manually with static instead of DHCP (in the iPod)
    5.) try again if it fails and it might a few times.

You got to tinker with it. It sometimes works and sometimes doesn't.

Once you figure out what those settings are supposed to be, type them manually, the iPod has issues obtaining ip addresses for some reason with ad-hoc probably because its not used to sharing an internet connection - it just needs an ip address for other things. You might also want to make sure the wireless card is doing the ip right. One way to see what the right settings are is below:

On Windows 7 or Vista, click on the bars then right click on the ad-hoc ssid name. Click status and details. The iPod has to be on the same subnet. Pay to the following settings and if you saw this for example:

IPv4:192.168.1.1
    IPv4 Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    IPv4 default gateway: 192.168.1.1
    IPv4 DNS: 192.168.1.1

Then in the iPod you would want:

IP:192.168.1.x (x IS ANY NUMBER FROM 1 to 255)
    SubnetMask: 255.255.255.0
    default gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS: 192.168.1.1

Hope this helps. If you still have trouble I could help you over skype (with screen sharing or teamviewer or something much easier.)
  3. sdettmer

sdettmer New Member

Ad-hoc what is that for something? Where i need that typ of connection and why? i use only "normal" wifi connection, so i´m kind an idiot!!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. wcstick

wcstick Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I'm still missing the router and DNS settings. Maybe you can show me how you did it with screenshots?

Ad-hoc is a computer-to-computer connection (or in this case computer-to-iPod) It's useful for anytime you want to connect two computers together for any reason. I don't have wifi where I'm currently living (college dorm, go figure) and the only internet connection available is through the Ethernet cable (wired connection). But since my laptop has a wireless card I want to use it to connect to my iPod so my iPod can connect to the internet by going through my computer's Ethernet connection.
  5. Spark1223

Spark1223 Banned

you may want to just buy a router, you can hook the ethernet cord into the WAN port in the router and set up the wireless over the air with your laptop.

Try reading this: it goes into more depth I don't have my other wireless card so I can't set up a ad-hoc right now, sorry.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13301334

treat the iPod like the other computer.
  6. sdettmer

sdettmer New Member

A router cost some dollars, so i think it´s good to have another (cheap) option. But i really don´t know, why i should use an ad-hoc for surfing or connecting ipod to internet? USB-Cable then? not good?
  7. Spark1223

Spark1223 Banned

Ad-hoc is a cheap solution if you already have the means to create the network. A wireless card can cost as much a a router these days. Atleast I bought both for the same price. Ad-hoc is not as good as using a router however, its slower, bandwith is split and the range is like 30 feet.
  8. unregistered

unregistered Guest

create an hoc connection

im very confused,why on my windows 7 i cant see "create an hoc connection"?
    it just 1. connect to the internet
    2. set up a new network
    3. manually connect to a wireless network
    4. connect to a workplace
    5. set up a dial-up connection

what i must do?i want to connect my windows 7 with my iphone but i cant see "create an hoc connection"?please help me out
  9. It4Ch1

It4Ch1 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    use set up new network
  10. failurizer

failurizer Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    then don't post