Need Help - May be computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blueridgerider, Jul 6, 2009.

1. blueridgerider

blueridgerider New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Okay here's the issue.

My computer has stopped recognizing my Ipod Touch. Well sort of - it tells me that there is an Iphone (which I don't have) plugged in and it cannot reconcile with it.

Thing is this is not EXACTLY new. A week or so ago it stopped recognizing my daughters walkman.

In addition the computer will not open Itunes everytime (and a few other programs). It is also freezing fairly regularly.

The System Pentium 4 - 3.2 Ghz, 3 gig of DDR, Windows XP. System has been on for 3-4 years pretty much constantly - I rarely turn off and until recently could not tell you the last time it had problems. Has been absolutely trouble free despite adding a new HD, Video Card, DVD writer, memory, and other misc things in upgrades over the last 3-4 years. This computer is the center of my whole network.

What I have done:

1. Checked and rechecked for viruses - I have Norton fully updated)

2. Tried other USB ports - the ones on the front are OEM Ports - I have an added card in the rear along with more OEM ports. Same results no recognition (Both IPOD and Walkman)

3. Cleaned/and Defragged - I do it regularly but did it again.

4. Cleaned out unused programs. (uninstalled all correctly no haphazard deleting).

Any suggestions.

BTW: Ipod and Walkman are both fine on my wife's laptop.
  2. kev50088

kev50088 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Have you tried reinstalling or restarting your computer
  3. blueridgerider

Device:
    iPod touch

Yeah, I have restarted the comp and reinstalled relevant software. I have NOT tried reinstalling from the OS up. Trying to avoid that one.
  4. Dust

Dust New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    yeah i understand you dont want to reinstall OS lol,
    i forgot about XP, since i have vista, but im pretty sure in the control panel theres something called device manager. spot the ipod, whatever its called in the device manager, (im pretty sure its storage), uninstall it and install it again by plugging it in. thats what i did to my CD drive when it didnt recognize cds/dvds. good luck!

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. kev50088

kev50088 Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    i meant reinstalling itunes lol
  6. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

meh, most viruses block AV updates, if u dont have all the newest windows update, it is definitly a virus and your kinda screwed...

repartition a 5GB NTFS and install Xp there, get AV, update everything, scan, if there is anything remove all!, and uninstall the XP and put it back on your main partition

also, dont every boot into your normal OS during the time period
  7. blueridgerider

Device:
    iPod touch

UPDATE: I got it fixed. Thanks guys. Jonathan - your suggestion helped a good bit. I checked my device manager and when I did it informed me that a .inf file was missing. I must have deleted a shared file when I was cleaning some old unused programs off the comp.

Anyway I added the file back and it recognized my ipod immediately and the Audio/Video programs I was having difficulty with all are opening and closing as normal.

Have not tested my daughters Sony yet, but she is gone.

I believe I may have caused the issue uninstalling an old minidisc player program.