iOS 3.1 Need help jailbreaking, very new to this!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by chaoscreater, Dec 25, 2009.

1. chaoscreater

chaoscreater New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi guys, I just got a new Itouch today for xmas present. I haven't owned one at all, but i have heard of jailbreaking for Iphone/Itouch be4.

Anyway i'm not really sure what my Itouch version is, i think it's a 3G because logically, it should be since i got it today. I got it wrapped as well so i don't have the official packaging either, so i dunno whether it's a 2G or 3G.

So anyway i'm really new to all this jailbreaking thing, i did a lot of research on Google and read a few tuts at the website Cydia etc but they seem confusing to me with multiple files i need to download, and i don't wanna screw this up so i wanna take this slow and safe.

I also own a PSP and have also hacked it with custom firmware as well, and anyone with a PSP who have bricked them by accident due to a faulty custom firmware or faulty installation method will know what i mean, and it seems jailbreaking an Itouch might not be as easy as hacking a PSP so ya, please be patient with me and explain things to me.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit, and i don't have any MACs.

There seems to be several ways to jailbreak an Itouch, like Quickpwn or BlackRa1n etc, but i'm not sure which one i should use. I'm not even sure about the different custom firmwares there are, i know the latest is something like 3.1.2? But apparently most people choose to stay at 2.xx, i'm not sure why, if someone could explain the difference that will be nice.

Also, what does untethered mean?? I've seen this word so many times but don't understand it, and it seems Itouch 3G has a lot of problems with jailbreaking or something?

Anyway, please help me get started, a lot of guides i've read seemed to be outdated or don't work on Itouch 3Gs, or that they seem confusing because there are different programs that it tells you to work with. If someone could make this easier for me that will be awesome.

Edit:

Also, if anyone can provide websites that lets you download free apps/games for ur jailbroken Itouch, please tell me as well.

And another important thing, I've never owned any Apple products such as Ipods etc, so Itouch is the very first thing i own from Apple. Anyway i've heard that Ipods doesn't let you directly drag and drop files from a PC, or vice versa. I don't wanna use Itunes either coz i don't like it, is there any good program that can fix this? I know there are some coz i came across them before, but forgot their names, and it seems the new firmwares have new methods to protect the drag and drop process so that old programs don't work anymore.
  2. iTam

iTam Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (White)
    1. 3G iPod touch has a tethered jailbreak. So every time you completely turn off your ipod touch you have to completely rejailbreak
    2. Use Blackrain to jailbreak
    3. We can't provide or talk about free/cracked apps on this forum or we will get banned.
  3. chaoscreater

chaoscreater New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    thanks for your reply.

That's kinda weird, how is it that jailbreaking an Ipod (which is kinda illegal isn't it??) is allowed, but posting apps will get u banned?? I mean, isn't that the main purpose of jailbreaking, to install free stuff on ur Itouch/Iphone??

Anyway, that kinda sucks if i have to reapply the crack. It's just like the PSP 3000 then, the latest custom firmware for the PSP 3000 will need to be re-applied if it crashes or if it's shut off.

Is there no other way to permanently jailbreak an Itouch 3G?? What if i install 2.0.2 jailbroken firmwares, or any firmware below 3.xx, will that work? Or is it that any jailbroken firmware installed on the Itouch 3G are tethered because it uses a different chip or motherboard or whatever compare to the Itouch 2G?

And say if i did jailbreak it, but i powered it off, will that restore the original firmware and all the stock apps that go along with it, and all the apps i installed for the jailbroken firmware will be deleted??

btw, is Cydia better or Rock better? I'm not sure what those are, i mean, they're part of the blackrain's firmware but i'm not sure exactly what they are technically.......anyway, which one is better? I know the description says Rock is faster and more stable or something and has everything Cydia has, but so many people prefer Cydia it seems....and i heard you can install both as well?? How do u do that, do u just repeat the installation process twice?

Edit:

i'm a little more confused now, i read at another forum and someone said this:

"Does Jailbreaking kill my tethering hack?"

what does that mean?? What's a tethering hack?
  4. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    The purpose of jailbreaking is to allow you to get further, with WinterBoard you can get themes, and it can allow you to get those App's which ARE NOT cracked but are made by us every-day users who either can't get it approved through Apple, or don't want too.

Look at Cycorder, it's a video taking application for the iPhone 3G.. Think Apple would ever approve that? Not a chance. So, jailbreak and install it!

You can't downgrade the iPod Touch to anything below out of the box, or 3.0 I believe? Plus the tethering is due to the hardware upgrade between the iPod Touch 2G and the 3G, there are a lot of different reasons why it's tethered. However, they'll come up with an exploit and get you un-tethered in a bit, no worries.

If you jailbreak, and it powers off, plug into your PC/Mac and go to blackra1n then click make it ra1n, it'll boot your iPod as if it as never turned off; Leaving your app's, music, photo's, themes e.t.c all there.

I've used tethered jailbreak with the 2G iPod Touch. Need anything else? Shoot me a PM if you wish.

Merry Christmas,
    Brendan
  5. chaoscreater

chaoscreater New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    brendanm, thanks for your reply. I checked the model number of my Itouch and it's A1288, so i think that's a 2G?

I've only heard of Itouch 3G currently only has tethered jailbreak, but i thought 2G have untethered ones? How come you used a tethered jailbreak on ur Itouch 2G then??

So should i still use blackra1n to jailbreak my Itouch 2G? (i'm not sure if it is a 2G or 3G so please tell me). And what version should i use? It seems there's a RC2 version:

http://www.ithinkdiff.com/blackra1n-rc2-released-jailbreak-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/

or should i use purplera1n?? Because i read this here:

http://www.jailbreakitouch.com/index.php/component/fireboard/?func=view&id=2748&catid=547

say if i do install a tethered jailbroken firmware, if my Itouch shuts off, will the original firmware with all its contents be restored?? I know you said i can just install jailbreak again by connecting to the PC, but i wanna know what happens when lose it.

And should i install Cydia or Rock or Ivy?? Can i install all of them coz some people installed both Cydia & Rock....

and also, someone said this:

what is a tethering hack??
  6. DarkFlayme

DarkFlayme New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    ?

What does jailbreak mean??
  7. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Alright, I'm gonna lay this out for you.

When the iPod Touch 2G first came out, it was on a tethered jailbreak, just like the iPod Touch 3G is. The developers of the jailbreak found the exploit to allow a fully untethered jailbreak, meaning you don't need to be connected to a PC or Mac to boot into your iPod.

The developers are currently working on an untethered jailbreak for the iPod Touch 3G, too. When this comes, your iPod will be the same as it was when you pulled it out of the box, you can turn it off, re-boot it and all no problem.

You have an iPod Touch 3G, if you got it for Christmas, because it's the most recent iPod Touch and I believe it's the only one in stores currently? So, until the developers come out with an un-tethered jailbreak, you'll have to 'make it ra1n' everytime you turn your iPod on or off.

Go to: www.blackra1n.com and click the icon that represents your operating system, the Windows logo for PC and the Apple logo for a Mac or PC running OS X. This will download the latest one, automatically, which I believe is RC3!

Plug in your iPod, and then go to the program you just downloaded and run it. When it comes up, click "make it ra1n". It'll jailbreak your iPod Touch, then it'll come back on and you gotta connect to WiFi and go to your new icon called "blackra1n" in your App pages. From there install Cydia or Rock, personally I prefer Cydia but it's your choice. I use it on both my iPhone 3G and my iPod Touch.

Then, if your iPod Touch shuts off, just plug it back into the PC and make it ra1n again. This will just boot your iPod, when it comes on you'll still have your games, apps, music, photos, videos, bookmarks, contacts and everything.

If you decide you don't want it anymore, you can take the jailbreak off. Back-up your contacts and apps in iTunes and go to the iPod page in iTunes and click "restore" accept the messages that come up and it'll automatically set your iPod up the way it was when you first got it going, and no one will know you ever jailbroke. Also do this if you need to send it for repairs or have a clerk at a store look at it, otherwise they'll void your warranty. But as soon as you restore, your warranty is back in place.
  8. marckyz

marckyz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i've been reading articles on this forum for days now. chaoscreater, i'm also a newbie IPOD touch user and i'm exactly on the same position as you are right now. well jailbreaking you ipod touch wouldn't take a minute of your time. geohot says its faster and it would only take less than a minute. a tethered ipod is far more better than un-jailed ipod.

so if i where you i'll start jailbreaking now and learn cydia , rock in the process. i agree with brendanm, we just need to wait for a while for the untethered blackrain.
  9. zeozaza

zeozaza New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    @brendanm thx mate for the very good explaination.. i too was wondering the same things since i am also new to the whole ipod thing.

edit: just a quick question.. if my ipod (bought about a year ago) is 2g, will it also be tethered or a full jailbreak ? and how do u know ?
  10. b-mac 39

b-mac 39 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    If it's a 2g, then it will be a full untethered jailbreak.