Need help jailbreaking ipod touch 3g 32 gb os 3.1.2

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by oscarmk, Nov 23, 2009.

1. oscarmk

oscarmk New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello,

I am completely new to jailbreaking, although I'm an iphone developer myself. Anyway I just bought an ipod touch 3g, and i would like to jailbreak it, however I have never ever done this. What does it take to jailbreak a ipod touch 3g with os 3.1.2?. The ipod touch came with OS 3.1 out of the box.

Additionally from what I understand once I jailbreak the device there are sites that have pretty much all the applications for free (as well as applications not approved by apple) , can anybody point me in the right direction for such trustworthy sites?.

Any help will be greatly apreciated. Thank you.

-Oscar

EDIT: I just realized this is probably not on the right forum, can a mod please move this to the appropriate forum please?
  2. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay to jailbreak your device go here
    Click on the OS your using
    Now open Blackra1n
    Plug in your iPod
    Click "make it ra1n"
    Done

Please Register or Log in to view images

Now since you have a 3rd gen you have a tethered jailbreak, which means if you turn off your ipod, the only way to turn it on is if you plug it into your computer, and once you see the "Connect to iTunes screen" run Blackra1n again and you will be back to normal.

3. oscarmk

oscarmk New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Hello Cl8rs,

Thank you so much for your input

... so you are saying that if I turn off my ipod I won't be able to even turn it on at all, unless I connect it back to the computer and re run Blackr1n?. That sounds kinda not good =S.

Also I assume after a while the 3rd gen will not have to do this?, or is there something that fully prevents 3rd gen from being fully jailbroken?. Also once I jailbreak where can I download applications?.

Thank you.

-Oscar
  4. xblindx

xblindx New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    We cannot tell you where to download official app store apps for free (against the rules) but once you jailbreak, you will have a new app on your springboard called "blackra1in" and once you open that you can install either or all of the following: Cydia (a must), Icy (not recommended), or Rock (recommended). Those new apps are what you use to download "unofficial" apps.

And you only need to run blackra1n when you FULLY turn off your ipod, putting it in sleep mode will be fine. And to be honest, you shouldn't be powering off your ipod very much anyways since it takes so long to reboot and wastes so much battery.
  5. Usmcgillis

Usmcgillis New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    problem

i have software 3.1.2 3g 32g ipod touch and i know a little about jailbreak, but when i install rock (awsome!!! BTW) and then mobile substrate, my ipod reset, and went backk to the connect to itunes screen. same thing with winterboard....
  6. crackinhedz

crackinhedz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    some apps will reboot the ipod automatically...just re-run Blackra1n.

Also, when you get the chance, go into iTunes and turn off all settings that have anything to do with connecting the iPod to iTunes for any reason. Do everything manually...and never hit restore!
  7. Usmcgillis

Usmcgillis New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    no matter how many time i do that, my ipod resets and i have to restore it.

im running firmware ipod3,1_3.1.2_7D11.
  8. crackinhedz

crackinhedz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
  9. Usmcgillis

Usmcgillis New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I tried just using cydia and have the same issue :/ I've tries tethered and untethered, everytime I have to respring, my iPod goes to connect to iTunes screen.

I have read posts that say that the iPod 3g is un-jailbreakable.... I'm wondering if this is the case. The iPod 3g is the one with the triple tap option right? Inverted colors and voice help?

Thanks for your help

10. crackinhedz

crackinhedz New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    My 32GB 3.1.2 iTouch works just fine.

That is an odd issue.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    There is an option to prevent iTunes from opening/connecting when you connect the iTouch to your PC.

Its under your 'devices' main page:

...make sure its not selected.

also, another setting to check:

...make sure it has a check mark.