Need help Jailbreaking iPod Touch 2G

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Jontos, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Jontos

Jontos New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hi. I recently purchased an new iPod Touch 2G. I've used it often, and really enjoy it as a portable system. I've been considering jailbreaking it, though I don't understand the benefits of doing that (besides possibly using vlc4iphone to play unaltered video files... I hate the long conversion times needed to change formats).

Anyways, I read that it is best to do a full, complete backup of the system before jailbreaking. (so you can restore to the unaltered state in case I need to bring it to Apple for repairs). However, neither on this forum, nor anywhere on Google, does it mention how to do this without jailbreaking it in the first place. Could someone tell me how to do this in complete detail (not shortform steps.). How do I do a complete memory copy, and how do I restore it when I need to?

Also, what are the instructions to jailbreak for a 2.2.1 iPod Touch 2G, running the latest iTunes version. By the way, I only use iTunes for managing my iTunes account, nothing more. I hope to never sync with iTunes, as I don't want iTunes to have any control over my iPod. Also, I cannot Authorize any computer, as I don't have access to one that can be permanently used for the IPod, nor do I desire there be one. I currently use a number of third-party applications for maintaining it (CopyTrans Manager, iFunBox, MediaMonkey). If I need to transport files a number of App store apps work well.

Please directly me to the answers to my questions, especially on how to do a full backup of the iPod (without iTunes).

Thank you.
  2. €p1c

€p1c New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    basically use iFunbox to back up the device or iTunes

Use redsn0w .3 to jailbreak 2.2.1

or upgrade to 3.0 firmware and use redsn0w 0.7.2 or 0.8

search the site for jailbreaking instructions or use YouTube

questions PM me