Need Help, Going From XP To OSX

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by HaGGardSmurf, Sep 3, 2008.

1. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

I have windows XP and im sick of microsofts bullsh*t, so I am going to convert to OSX.

I have a few questions about it though, here they are:

My Specs Are:
    AMD Duron Processor
    701 Mhz 320 MB Ram
    (Yes, I know its sh*t, but whatever its the computer I use in my room, the desktop in the office is custom built, and I think my brother spent like 3500 on it so if i need to use photoshop or anything i use it.)

Anyways, with those specs, do you think I could run OSX better then XP, also, what version of OSX should I use?

When I get OSX (I will probably download thru a *******) how do I burn it? Any special way? Any special format? Do I need to wipe my HDD? Basically how do I go about installing it?

edit:

I just remembered my dad recently bought a mac book (about a month ago) and it came with install disks. I dont know if theyre restore disks or if theyre actual install disks, but there is 2 of them theyre grey, and say install disk 1 and install disk 2.

Can I use them to install on this computer? Do I need a serial number? Do I need to wipe my HDD?
  2. mrfajita

mrfajita New Member

it should be an ISO image when you download it. just burn it with nero or whatever you use to burn DVDs (youll need a dvd burner)
    and before you get rid of winxp, download CPU-Z and make sure your CPU has SSE2 or SSE3, if not it wont run.
    if you cant run it, i suggest Ubuntu Linux
  3. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I highly doubt OS X would work on that computer's hardware.

I wish you the best of luck, but my advice for this situation would be to either upgrade your hardware, or buy a Mac.

EDIT: It won't run at all. Your processor is only 701MHz and won't have SSE2 instructions because it's too old. Sorry about that.
  4. eraserhead

eraserhead New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You are going to have one hell of a time getting it to install on an AMD Duron...I'm not saying it can't be done, but you are going to have a better understanding of the entire process if you are going to be successful.
  5. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

Whats linux like? Whenever I think of it, I think of a command line OS that only hackers use :O

Also whats Ubuntu? Im just so tired of windows XP being slow after its been used for 3 months.
  6. jetracer

jetracer Member

unless that proc is sse or sse2 than no it will not work and i doubt it. i have an athlon 64 and it barely runs.
  7. keyboarder

keyboarder Banned

8. Meikura

Meikura Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Please don't bump 2 week old topics, especially when we've already pointed out that OS X can't be run on his system.
  9. malibusurfer93

malibusurfer93 Banned

10. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

http://ubuntu.com

It's pretty good Linux, especially for noobs. Runs fine on my GF's ~300 MB RAM.