Need help from a dev with a mac

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Ezekeel, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I have a problem with the categories app which I think can be solved pretty fast if you have the Apple Application Builder which I do not have since it is only available for mac.

The problem is that the icons for the theme I am using (Stormy Black) have width of 76 pixels and a height of 88 pixels which on the springboard puts the icons directly adjacent to each other.

Please Register or Log in to view images

In the categories folder however the icons are sized down to 60x60 pixels which does look pretty crappy.

Please Register or Log in to view images

I guess the the design of the categories folders can be found in the files 'FlipsideView.nib' or 'MainWindow.nib' found in the folder directories. It would be great if one of you could check this, modify the file to display the icons in the right size and then upload a copy of the modified file or a bspatch file for me.
  2. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

3. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    If you were not a mod, I would really think you would be trolling my post. But since you are and you know exactly that your behaviour should serve as a model in this forum I will assume that you tried to help and thank you for that.
  4. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought your post was a joke. Seriously. If you actually want an answer, here you go.

Even if there were some sort of way to decompile iPhone nibs (there isn't*), it wouldn't matter. The icons are drawn onto the scroller programatically. The nib has nothing to do with things. There is nothing you can do short of emailing BigBoss and asking him to change the way his app works (I speak with him every day, that's not likely).

*iPhoneOS != Leopard. Some Leopard nibs can be opened and edited. Specifically, the ones compiled with previous versions of Xcode. Newer Xcode versions, including all iPhone SDKs, make messing with a compiled nib impossible.
  5. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Thanks. That explains a lot.

When I started to find a solution to this problem I took a look at the folders Categories created and and noticed the nib files, googled for it and found some info that they contain layout information and such stuff. As I said, I guessed that these files contain the info I needed to change. Never built a program with a GUI myself. And I also found that you can open these files with the Apple Interface Builder which turned out not to be correct for the iPhone. But honestly, that is not something you can assume everybody knows on this forum. Most people here are no devs.

So bottomline is, except from finding the icon size in the executable and changing it in a hex editor, there is nothing I can do. That kinda sucks. That is exactly why I love open-source software.