Need help fast - iPhone and POP3 and GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipod_noobie, Dec 30, 2008.

1. ipod_noobie

ipod_noobie New Member

Hello,
    I simply don't have the time to research all that. I have a couple of questions:

The company I work for wants to switch phones. They think about transitioning from Blackberry 8830 to the iPhone.

The Blackberries are running all the stuff GPS/Email etc. and it works great.

How about the iPhone. Is it POP3 compatible out of the box? If not what apps are recommended to be used for POP3 Email? Are there limits of how many POP accounts you can setup per phone? Are there proper turn by turn GPS systems available for the iPhone?

How fast is the internet on AT&T? Does anyone have a comparison between the internet speed of the 8830 (Sprint) and the iphone (AT&T).

What does the iPhone better than the 8830? If there are any ex-Blackberry users, maybe you can chime in.

The company got a great offer today so they need to switch fast.

Thanks in advance!
  2. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I dont have any info for you in the sense of camparisons but the phone is POP3 email ready out of the box. There are tons of email setting option for both incoming and outgoing.

Technically there is no traditional turn by turn GPS for it. Apple has a limitation on this right now. The maps program in the phoneis provided by google maps, and the directions are done in this way to. The only directions it will give you are the same google maps would. It wont see that you are closer and go to the enxt step, you have to tell it to move from step to step.
  3. fyvel

fyvel Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    im pretty pop3 is avliable through the default mail app... it uses google maps for direction so its pretty accurate... well at least in las vegas nevada... go to an apple store and check out the display phone internet speed.... it all depends on you wifi/ cellular connection...

edit: a nice little perk to the iphone is that there is what is called the appstore. it is were third party deelpoers can sell programs... and your company can find somthing that they could use...
  4. ipod_noobie

ipod_noobie New Member

Thanks guys for your replies.

I did some quick research and found that both Telenav and TomTom would have a turn-by-turn application ready to sell but Apple won't let them. This is ridiculous.
    Having a GPS solution like that, I bet the iPhone would sell hotter than hotcakes.
    Why even putting a GPS chip in there if you don't provide proper applications???

Maybe someone can explain that...