Need HELP Designing Icons

Discussion in 'iOS Themes and Customization' started by iNinja305, May 31, 2010.

1. iNinja305

iNinja305 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hi everyone,

I want to start making my own theme once again, but I really fail at making icons. Every time I try to make one with GIMP (GIMP is a program similar to Photoshop, but free), it looks like a 2-year-old drew it... OK my icons aren't that bad, but they just look boring...
    I really like the Illumine icons, but of course I don't want to copy them.

Any Ideas or tips on how I can actually create my own icons and make them look good?

By the way, one more question: I want to design the theme based on the icons, so that it all fits together. But now I'm not sure if I should do it the other way around (Designing the icons based on the rest of the theme).
    Please HELP!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

Well I hope someone can help me soon, and while you're at it, you could tell me a few themes that use UIImages to make close-to-all icons be modified.

iNinja305
  2. Calhoun

Calhoun New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i recommend first getting your program of choice (photoshop ideally, i'd get the cs5 trial) and screwing around with it until you know its functions well.

next i'd go find icons i like and practice copying them, until i could copy them really well and make darn good (or even better) icons than the original

and then finally i'd think up a great new unique idea for a theme or icon base, and then work with that to make some icons

the #1 most important thing is to have a good eye for design and what looks good, and to not settle for anything less than that
  3. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Try coying, my friend praticed copying manga now he draws like a professional and made a manga app icon which looks sexy.
  4. TsterT

TsterT New Member

5. iNinja305

iNinja305 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks...
    although that will take a long time, but until I design the rest of my theme, I will prob. be a pro in designing icons

------------------double post merged------------------
    Yup i'll try

------------------double post merged------------------
    Thanks, but i want to create my own icons, not the iPhone style ones...