Need help cropping!

Discussion in 'Graphics, Design, and Photography' started by Germany, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Germany

Germany Banned

Hey everyone. I am new to image manipulation as many of you probably know, but I am getting better. I am currently working on a camera icon for the iPhone. I am using GIMP, but many of the tools are the same or similar to photoshop. The following is what I have:

Please Register or Log in to view images

What can I improve on it, mainly the cropping and how can I do it. Also, when I save it as .png it asks to flatten or merge it. I have tried both and have had no luck getting a transparent background even though it is transparent in my project. You can't see it on the image above because it saves as a white background. If you copy and paste it into a black image, you can see what I mean.

Could anyone give me advice on how to fix this problem and make the icon better? Thanks!
  2. MrBrightside

MrBrightside Active Member

Did you make the rounded square part yourself or was it already part of the icon? You could probably just make a rounded square, put a gradient on it, select the black lens part off of that image above, and move it onto the newly made rounded square. That way you'll have smooth corners.
  3. Germany

Germany Banned

Yes, I took it from a springboard and changed the lense color and desaturated it a bit. I think I will try making my own 60 by 60 rounded rectangle 18 radius square and then crop out the lense onto it. Thanks for the pointers.

Still open to other ideas, but thanks Smithy!