Need Help - can't restore/black screen/error 1601/tried everything ive searched

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iScott, Feb 13, 2010.

1. iScott

iScott New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Alright I hope someone here can help me with all this. Recently, I bought a 1st gen touch on eBay that was listed and described as "won't turn on, only black screen, will not sync." I got it for a decent price, but still paid around 70 dollars with shipping, now I have been trying to fix everything. I am pretty new to all of this and have never jailbroken any iPod, and to be quite honest…I am more of an iPod touch newbie. I am running vista (not 64 bit) and am using the latest iTunes version. There is NO water damage, cracked screen, or bad LCD. I have NO idea what happened to the iPod to make this error occur. I have NO idea if the iPod was jailbroken or what firmware it was previously running.

After lengthy searches, I still have not found a solution.

So here it goes - I have a black screen. iPod cannot sync and is not recognized unless in DFU mode. iPod will not display any other screen when entering DFU mode. iPod will not restore in earlier iTunes versions while in DFU mode(gives me the "iPod detected in recovery mode, this iPod must be restored before it can use iTunes." ------ I have already tried the drive mapping fix - windows does not recognize this iPod within the computer/disk management utility.

iPod will not restore in latest iTunes version (while in DFU mode). The fist time I tried this (after RE-INSTALLING iTunes), I received the "The iPod "iPod" cannot be restored because the firmware file is not compatible" error. The second time I tried this I opted for the shift+click Restore method. This option (selecting the 1.1.3 firmware) yielded an unable to restore 1601 error code,. I also heard a system sound like a device was disconnected from the computer. So I tried again and I did try to push the iPod back into DFU mode (after hearing the previous said sound) just incase the restore forced it out - that still did not work.

I've used earlier iTunes versions.
    I've used firmwares 1.1.3 and 2.2.1
    I've reinstalled iTunes to the latest version.
    I've re-started my computer multiple times.
    I've tried on other computers.
    I've used all my USB ports.
    I've disconnected all other USB devices.
    I've tried - I've tried - I've tried!!!!!

Please help : )

Thanks in advance!
  2. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Try to DFU restore to 3.1.3 (the newest firmware). Try to put it into DFU mode a few more times.
  3. rofl.

rofl. Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Have you tried the PLAN B DFU mode? (just made that name up.)

Turn iPod off, and hold onto the home button while plugging in to your computer. Instead of a blank screen, you should see the screen with the "plug into itunes" screen. iTunes should now be able to recognize the ipod in restore mode through which you can restore your iPod.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. SpeedyApocalypse

SpeedyApocalypse Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    That is recovery mode

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. Jacob

Jacob Well-Known Member

Try the good 'ol link in my signature.
  6. com69

com69 New Member

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue with my sons touch, it's driving me crazy. I'd check out the link in the sig as suggested above, but it won't show me links until I have at least 10 posts and I don't want to just spam some threads to get my post count up.

Any help would be appreciated.

Details:
    Ipod touch 1st gen
    WAS running 3.1.2 last I knew(I'm not sure what the kid might have done to it since I jailbroke it for him)
    I've tried restoring on 5 different computers(xp home, xp pro and vista), different versions of itunes, all with the same result.....error 1601.

Nothing shows on screen, ever. When plugged into computer it makes the usb noise, itunes pops up saying ipod detected in recovery mode, blah blah. I've tried restore and update, shift restore with every firmware from 1.1.4 up. Once I chose a restore, it goes through to preparing ipod for restore, makes some noises, disconnect, reconnect then disconnect and then hangs at preparing ipod for restore. Always ends with 1601 error.

Ziphone tells me it's in dfu, but it sounds like it's popping out of dfu at just the wrong time. I've tried it with redsn0w, winpwn, everything I can think of and still squat.

I've tried to be as specific as possible, so if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to try them.

Thanks!
  7. Awanderingponderer

Awanderingponderer New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    i know this is an old thread but guess what.. "im having the exact same problem" nothing on screen, always says error 1601. tried vista and a mac. tried all the suggestions i could find online to no avail. im starting to think it may be a hardware issue but id like some input. anyone have this problem and solve it?
  8. Apple951

Apple951 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Try a new PC or Re-install your OS. It will work guaranteed.
  9. Awanderingponderer

Awanderingponderer New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    thanks for the advice/ quick reply. i only have the one laptop (vista) and access to a mac (10.6 i think) i actually tried factory restore on the laptop and installed latest itunes and tried to restore it that way but no dice. i tried it in safe mode on the laptop. tried deleting everything itunes(which is a pain) and reinstalling on the mac but always the same 1601 error.
  10. ToastyCornFlakes

ToastyCornFlakes Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Did you do a DFU restore to the newest firmware?