Need help building a computer

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Tman47, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Okay so I'm embarking on a new project for my independent study, and PC Hardware is where I'd like to cover next. (Did a little debian, python, blender, networking etc.) My budget is probably somewhere around $1000 but that can bend a little.

I'd love to be able to hackintosh it, but it's not completely required. And I'd like a Core i7, with at least 4gb DDR3 RAM to start. The way I see it as, the parts harder to replace should be more heavily invested in, the processor, case, power supply, system board. And after that the weaker parts can be the video card, ram, hard drive etc.

I'd assume NewEgg would be the best place to start, but my problem is that I don't know how compatible all of the hardware is.

Thanks!

P.S. I'd preferably run OS X as I have a installation disc, if not then Ubuntu, and probably Win7 after that.
  2. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Power supply is easily replaced. And so is the cpu.

And you wont be able to install OS X with a standard installation disc.
  3. tktouch12

tktouch12 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    isnt insanely mac forums all about hackintosh? or its some forum like that?
    so i'd go there
    but, tiger direct is a good site too, other than that good luck
  4. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
  5. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Well being that the power supply should fit the system board, the case, and be compliant with the cpu, it is a good piece to invest in.
    In the situation where I upgrade my RAM, I can usually just add one module without taking anymore away, still using the RAM I bought before, which isn't the case with the power supply cpu and the case ya know?

And I'm aware of the OS X installation, I just thought it could be considered morally justified

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks for that alot! It's a little outdated, but that's really informative on building it specifically to be hackintoshable (word?) plus its on snow leopard which is great!

OT I just saw the senior editor of Life Hacker at a seminar at Rochester Institute of Technology

6. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Yea it's a little outdated but the hardware is real nice and the $900 price point isn't bad either.
  7. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    yeah very, I just wish for DDR3 ram but meh its not that big of a deal, and with a decent keyboard and mouse that'll bring me up to about $1000 (already have the monitor)
  8. rafarquhar

rafarquhar New Member

Buying a crappy power supply is the fast route to destroying all of your components. To OP - buy anything that isn't Rosewill. Corsair PSUs have a reputation for being great.

$900 nowadays should fetch you an i7, not a Core 2 Quad.

I have an AMD Phenom II X4. If I were to go intel right now, I would probably build a Core i5 system. You could probably get away with an i7 on your budget though, especially if you don't need a beefy video card.

EDIT: My AMD Quad core setup with DDR3 and an HD 4890 came to only $650, which I felt was pretty cheap for a PC. I waited for a great deal, but still, for $1000 you should get an i7. I would put together a build, but I'm too lazy.
  9. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I love the i7's, the only problem is, I'd need all compatible hardware, and not to mention the hackintosh part
  10. hooger

hooger Banned

Canadian or American?