Need Heaphone Overhaul!

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by Tylerspilker, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Tylerspilker

Tylerspilker New Member

So I have a pair of of Sennheiser HD 497s that I got for about $30 two years ago.

I love the sound quality with these things, as I hadn't been exposed to any quality audio with my standard ear buds. I suddenly felt like the music had much more depth to it, like it was a combination of instruments being played in harmony more than just a solid wall of noise coming through the headphones.

I love them, but they are too bulky, they aren't streamlined enough for my usage. Also, they hurt my ears after prolonged use. (as in, they press on my ears causing physical discomfort when I remove them, I don't mean ear-drum pain)

I feel it is time to upgrade to something in a fully over-the-ear style. Since the HD497 just dont look "cool" when I wear them because they are bulky on the sides. (I have kind of a bigger head?) What would you audiophiles recommend for under $100. if you really convince me I might be willing to spend as much as $150 or $200. Something that still looks... cool? (No skull candy though... I have never used them, but the brand bothers me) Obviously quality is more important than asthetics, but it wouldn't hurt to look good either.

Also, for on-the-go use, I still use the Apple ear buds for convenience(throw them in a bag or pocket) despite them sounding awful . What would be a good choice for buds that are higher quality, but cheap enough (under $35?) that I wouldn't be too shattered if I lost/broke them? maybe something in a Senn. CX400 flavor or something?

Thanks!
  2. ecoy

ecoy New Member

I'm a fan of Audio Technica! While providing good and detail sound quality, most of the Audio Techinca headphones will look solid and stylish. I'll high recommend you the check out her headphones line.
  3. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    One thing, there aren't exactly many audiophiles on this forum. I know like 6 users and that includes me

Please Register or Log in to view images

Anyway, you could have a look at the Grado SR80i, you might like the "Grado look" Or you could have a look at the Audio Technica ES7's, they have this mirror look (Like iPod) but they do look very sexy.

If you could justify $300, get the ATH ESW9's... WOOD!

Both the Grado's and the ES7's work brilliantly un amped.

4. Tylerspilker

Tylerspilker New Member

What is the ipod attached to in the last picture?
  5. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    A LOD, an iPod dock connecter can be used for audio and is of better quality. Then the LOD is connected via an amplifier, and the headphones out of the amp.
  6. Tylerspilker

Tylerspilker New Member

That is really cool. Wow. I find it quite ironic that the quality from the audio output on the 3.5mm would be of lower quality.. considering an ipod is an mp3 player... which should focus it's attention on sound quality.

Then again that doesn't matter to 99% of the people who buy them.

I am thinking about getting some Sennheiser HD280 headphones for at home listening... and I was thinking about something a little more portable for leaving the house, but inexpensive so I wont be upset when i lose them or something.

What would you reccomend in the in-ear headphone dept without sacrificing too much quality and staying under $50
  7. Gr33n3gg

Gr33n3gg New Member

8. ecoy

ecoy New Member

This baby reminds me the HP-FX500 Wooden In-Ear

I think the Audio Techinca SQ5 looks beautiful and small enough to wear it all the time. The price tag is not going to break your wallet as well.