iOS 4.0 Need Guidance to Jailbreak my iPod touch Second Gen!

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by chriss, Jun 25, 2010.

1. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    I just need guidance to know what to do step by step, please. I know there are guides, I've read through them, but honestly I keep finding things which don't make sense to me and which don't have answers, and I know that if you jailbreak wrong or make a mistake, it can mess up your iPod real bad.

So if anyone could stay here to help me jail break it, I'd really appreciate it.

Info:
    - I'm on Windows 7
    - It's a second gen ipod touch.
    - It has the OS4 installed.
    - Model: MB528E

If anyone could spend some time here to help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
  2. LastChaosBeast

LastChaosBeast New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    READ COMPLETELY THROUGH THIS BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO JAILBREAK.

I'm not 100% sure about Windows 7, but I'll attempt to help you.

First off you have to download redsn0w0.9.5b5-4. Just search around the forum and you will find a link no problem. You are on 4.0 right? So you open up redsn0w, and you have to locate the firmware.

When you open up redsn0w, click on Browse. Make sure you are following this path:

C:\Users\"Your Name Here"\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates

If AppData is Application Data, that is OK too.

Then, you click next, and you must get your iPod into DFU(Device Firmware Upgrade) mode before the jailbreak starts. Then everything else you don't have to do, just make sure your iPod IS connected through USB and it doesn't unplug. You should see a pineapple and a loading bar, it should say "Flashing NOR","Patching Kernel" and things like that, then you are on track.

Your device should reboot, then on the 2nd page you should see Cydia, where your jailbreaking adventure starts

Link for redsn0w: http://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev..._0.9.5b5-4.zip

Just download it, then follow the guide.

Since you are new, I'll do this step by step to make it a bit more clear if it does...

Step 1: Download redsn0w
    Step 2: Open redsn0w
    Step 3: Click Browse
    Step 4: Follow this path: C:\Users\"Your Name Here"\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
    Step 5: Enter DFU Mode by following the instructions in the redsn0w window
    Step 6: Wait until redsn0w is finished jailbreaking your iPod
    Step 7: Done!

By the way, jailbreaking is NOT harmful to your iPod in anyway possible.
  3. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Thank you! I'll stay with this page open meanwhile just incase I encounter any problems and need to ask something C:
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    It says the website you have linked to me is not valid

Please Register or Log in to view images

(I found the redsn0w from another thread)

PROBLEM!

On step 4, when following the path, I reach application Data, but the only option I get in there is a file called "Xilisoft Corporation", which I think is related to this iPod video converter program, but there is no roaming option there which you're talking about :C
  4. LastChaosBeast

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Okay. What you want to do is go to Tools, then Folder Options. Go to View, then tick to show hidden files and untick hiding system processing files.

Try the path again. If it doesn't work, leave the hidden files ticked and the system processing files unticked, and follow this path which worked for me.

C:\Documents and Settings\"Username"\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Update

Tell me if it works.
  5. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Argh it's a bit hard to follow the directions because my computer is in spanish (I'm from chile lmao), so I'm not sure where to find the tools and stuff, I do understand spanish, but I don't find anything that means tools :c
  6. LastChaosBeast

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's at the top where File should be, or Edit and everything, like you see at the very top of the screen you see a blue line, under it at the top left you see words, it's the 5th one. Then click the very bottom one from the menu that shows, click the 2nd tab, click the 9th option and the 11th.

Maybe since you are in Chile, I can assist you since I'm hispanic too...

Lo que quiero hacer es ir a Herramientas, luego Opciones de carpeta. Ir a Ver, luego de tilde para mostrar archivos ocultos y archivos del sistema desmarque ocultar su procesamiento.
  7. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Windows 7 isn't layed out as the Mac obviously so... I can't really follow that, sorry :c

---------------------------------------

Strike that! I was able to find it!
    I'm going to try now C:
  8. LastChaosBeast

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm using Windows XP. I'm not talking about Firefox. Open up My Computer, and do what I told you to do about Folder Options and that. Lol.. I guess you didn't understand what I meant at first

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. chriss

chriss Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Okay, I found the right path and selected what I had to select in the end, but it said the version of redsn0w I had wasn't the one for my device.

My device is exactly what I stated in the first post though, the model, current software, generation.

I guess who ever sent me that link to download the redsn0w, sent me the wrong one?
    lmao yeah, sorry >w<
    But i found it n__n
  10. LastChaosBeast

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hmm. Are you sure you are using the latest version of redsn0w? Check if you see a b5-4 at the end of the file name.