Need Advice with Buying a used iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AE86_Racer, Jul 31, 2008.

1. AE86_Racer

AE86_Racer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    So Im thinking about buying a Gen 1 iPhone off a co-worker and replacing my 8GB Touch. Ive got a few questions though...

First is there anything that needs to be done when I swap the SIM cards or will this be a seamless transfer. We both have AT&T and his phone is not unlocked or jailbroken.

Second I currently dont have a data plan associated with my AT&T set up. I will be getting one if I buy the iPhone but probably wont have it set up for a day or two. Should I be worried about massive data charges?

Third, he has some applications he's bought already for 2.0. I have some from my 8GB touch for 2.0. Is there a way to mix them, will his override mine in my iTunes library, or will mine override his once I do the initial sync?

Thanks for all your help!
  2. skynex721

skynex721 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You shouldnt worry about having massive data charges unless you watch a lot of videos on youtube or something.
    As for the apps, your iTunes saves what you have downloaded, and will probably replace what he has. I'm not sure if you buy something for your iphone if it will transfer to your touch and vice versa. I have a iPhone 3g and havent upgraded my touch to 2.0. I dont see the point of paying 2.0 for the update on my touch if I have the software on my iPhone.
  3. AE86_Racer

AE86_Racer New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    One other thing just came to mind. What kind of modifications need to be done for the visual voicemail to work?
  4. h1tman

h1tman Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    you have to plug it into itunes to actavate it. the only way to swap sim cards is to unlock the phone you have to pay for data plan before you can use it unless you unlock
  5. AppleDude

AppleDude Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Dude your better take that, that's a sweet deal you got everything you use to have plus a phone. I got a 32GB ipod touch and I've been lookin for someone with a 16GB iphone that will trade for the longest. by the way is that a good deal?