Need advice deciding what capacity iPod to get

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by junyii02, Jan 11, 2009.

1. junyii02

junyii02 New Member

Hello all! As you can see, I just signed up here. I have been thinking about purchasing an iPod Touch lately. I currently own a 30GB Video, which works just fine. However, with all of the hype and reading upon the iPod Touch, I'm considering on upgrading my current device. It seems like a nifty device with many possibilities.

The problem is, I can't decide on what capacity size to get. I had my mind set on the 16gb for awhile, because the price seemed pretty reasonable. (Around 270-280 New on eBay). 8GB was never in the picture, for I already have about 7.5GB filled up in iTunes.

Then I started to think, is 16GB enough to last me for a good amount of time? Taking into consideration that the iPod Touch makes a great video player, I may end up buying more videos and movies, which will take up more space then usual. I rarely buy movies for my video.

Something else I considered was the apps - Can someone tell me, how much on average does an app. take up? Is the maximum limit dependent on what capacity you have? (so if you had an 8gb, you'd have your music, say 4gb - could you fill the other 4gb with apps?)

How good is the Wi-Fi? I probably won't be able to get a straightforward answer for this, as everyone is spread across the world. But on average, can most people find a connection pretty easily, in public areas? (ie the mall, restaurants)

Any help would be much appreciated - Thanks!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The 16GB is great (I have an 8), but if you have the money, get a 32GB.
    The wifi is good; I can connect easily out in public.
    The average app is only a couple megabytes.
  3. joorowned

joorowned New Member

For me, and I have like 40 apps, it only takes up less than .5 GB. As for your space issue, how much GB is free on ur ipod video? That should solve your problem.
  4. jzorn

jzorn New Member

I too was thinking the same thing a couple of weeks ago. I have a 30gb classic and only have used about half the space. Since the touch does show movies much better than the classic I decided to go with the 32gb even with the price being higher as it will be a one time purchase. I already have over 19g on it with music and video. Go for the Gusto you won't be sorry. I think I found it at MacMall for $369.00 and some freebies to boot.
  5. junyii02

junyii02 New Member

I just checked my iPod and I have used about 10GB of the 27.8 available. 1481 songs, 16 videos, and 43 photos. I've had it for about 3 years now. Maybe 20GB in another 3 years? It's something that really can't be predicted.. I don't know if my 'gut' wants me to fork out another $80.00 for the 32GB. At the same time, I don't want the eighty dollar price difference to suck me into regret. :| ohh what to do..
  6. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Based on what you've used up so far, I would recommend the 16GB. That would give you about 4-5GB to grow on the iPod touch. You most likely will not fill the majority of that up with Apps. It still gives you room to add a few movies and quite a bit of music.
    If you think you are going to expand your library by quite a bit anytime soon, without removing anything you already have on there, then you should consider going for the 32GB.
  7. Dcbir

Dcbir New Member

Why not just buy an 8? I feel I never need more than that with me at any one time.
    Save the cost difference to buy the new models as they
    Come out with new features.
  8. erichuynh05

erichuynh05 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    16 is the best for apps vids and music. 32gb is for the hardcore music people

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. NickPod

NickPod Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Did you read his post? Check it out:

10. ThatGEEKFreak

ThatGEEKFreak Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    I owned a 16 for a while and got it stolen, my parents said they were pay for half, I sold one of my modded xbox 360's and bought a 32gb just because I had the money. It's totally worth it, you can load large movies 2gb+ and not worry about whats left. Long time ago I had a 60gb video, that was amazing, I had every south park episode, every family guy and what not. The only way to fill it was load my dad's friends massive 25gb library, all the episodes and over 3000 photos. That's just not practice in reality but if your not itching to buy anything else at the moment get the 32gb. I traded my 60gb and some others for a PSP and some stupid prick stole it from my friend during an open house. The PSP went toward a second original xbox, ya I love em. But I miss my 60gb as an external drive, it was excellent, very fast transfer, I had an upgraded battery. Make sure you keep the 30gb, it's always good for something. If you want something else really badly as much as the touch just get the 16gb. I remember I filled my 16gb to around 12gb with only like 3 videos. And you really only get over 14gb after formatting. So if you want lots of apps and video 32gb is definitely the way to go unless you don't mind swapping music all the time. Personally I like to take my entire library with me. It's your choice though. Going from a video to a touch is like going from a single core computer to a quad(which I did a couple weeks ago).