Need advice....buy touch now or wait till June WWDC?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by digitalduck, May 12, 2008.

1. digitalduck

digitalduck Member

I just sold my PDA and I wish I (or someone) had more of a definite answer as to what will be coming out in June at the WWDC. Im looking to replace my old pda and after debating back and forth as to what to do with the smart phone/touch dilemma I have decided to just go with the touch but what WILL most likely happen in June...

Will it just be a software/firmware upgrade along with a bigger version of the same thing or will it possibly be a new design along with the iphone? if so then maybe June would be fine but if im getting the 16 gig then I don't need to care about a new version....

but im apprehensive because I was just at bestbuy and was looking at atit again and was thinking I wish someone would know more about June because what if something else comes out that makes me say "I wish I didn't buy it when I did"

If it was just going to be software etc and the form stays the same then great..but it seems like noone can guarantee that Apple wont come out with a new ipod "touch pda" or something like that...

any thoughts?
  2. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Here is my though: The conference is soon. I could not wait to get my iPod, but I did on March 1st.
    Now we know that there will be a nominal fee for the App Store. Maybe if you wait you won't have to pay the $5-20.
    Also if you wait until June, a new genertation of iPod touch might come out. It is unlikely, but you never know.

So I'd say wait, though nothing is absolutely certain.
  3. digitalduck

digitalduck Member

Quote from another forum:

Apple's WWDC is 'developer' focused. This makes it HIGHLY unlikely a new consumer-focused product will be announced and available on the day of the conference (June 9th). If anything, WWDC will feature an 'announcement', and an announcement only, of a new model of iPhone - due for release late June, most definitely a demo of version 2.0 of the iPhone/iPod touch software and the App Store, and possibly a preview of Mac OSX 10.6 due for release the second quarter of 2009.

Apple's Macworld is the consumer based conference where new products are announced and/or refreshed. WWDC focuses on product development and software announcements. There is no doubt WWDC will be iPhone-focused this year, with the release of version 2.0 imminent, but I doubt Apple is planning a worldwide product launch at a development-focused event.

As you say, no-one can guarantee, but usually Macworld is consumer-focused (new products) and WWDC is development and software focused.

Lets just say, I wouldn't get your hopes up for a new product from Apple, just yet ...

Makes some sense...
  4. isitnyu

isitnyu New Member

i'd definitely wait.
  5. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Might as well wait a month and see what options you have.
  6. BroadStBullies

BroadStBullies Well-Known Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It depends. If you definatly want to jailbreak it then get one now. On the other hand if you want the appstore without paying a "nominal fee," then wait till june. And if you wait till June then It might be cheaper. At least thats what Ive heard.
  7. digitalduck

digitalduck Member

Can I still Jailbreak it after June or with the inroduction of the Apple Store will I have another option? If price wasnt a big issue (to a point) I guess i feel that if it geos from 399 to 350 its not that big of a deal...
  8. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    What the dev team said is that ANY firmware can be jailbroken as long as they find a string of code in the iPod firmware. That's how the new 2.0 builds are quickly jailbroken.

So I don't think jailbreaking is much of an issue.
  9. russiaone

russiaone New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i can see it now: iPod Touch w/speakers...

Can't say that I won't be pissed
  10. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I've been screwed in a case where I bought a product just as it was about to be replaced. You are best off waiting for an updated model.