Need advice about my ipod touch predicament

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by bob vansteel, Aug 4, 2008.

1. bob vansteel

bob vansteel Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    SO, I have a sort of scruffed up ipod touch, I use it everyday(alot) so i excpect the battery life isn't near as good as it was when i bought it a year ago(whenever they were first launched). Here's my problem...I'm getting a new iMAc sometime within the next two weeks...i am getting the student discount so I will be recieving a free ipod touch with it. I have a few options to do here, and I want you guys to help me decide!

OPTION 1: sell my current ipod touch on ebay and be satisfied with my new free one

OPTION 2: sell my ipod touch, sell the new one i'm going to get for free, and save up to buy an all new 2nd gen ipod touch once they are released within the next few months.

OPTION 3: sell my ipod touch, sell the new one i'm going to get for free, and get an awesome pandora "UMGPC"(see http://www.openpandora.org for some details)

I mainly use it to listen to music and surf the web! I'm currently favoring "OPTION 2" but what do you think I should do?
  2. mrgas2004

mrgas2004 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    option 2! just hope this is real lol
  3. f1av0rflave

f1av0rflave Banned

well i dont think it is confirmed yet of a 2nd gen ipod touch. but that pandora looks like a sicass laptop in nintendo ds form! what exactly does it do? just a mini awesome laptop?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    whoa that looks amazing! i would go with the pandora for sure. i wish i had one myself now. can you run itunes on it?
  4. deleted account 92

deleted account 92 Active Member

I would do option two.
  5. bob vansteel

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the pandora is a top of the line open source gaming portable...the test developers already have creating working psx,gba,etc emulators that run at very playable speeds. The creators have announced it will run a highly customized version of linux...and that it will run programs like FireFox 3 and open office. If it will run amorak I'm definatly getting a pandora! if not I'm goin to go through with "option 2" and start saving up for a Fujistu U2010(see here for specs: http://www.umpcportal.com/products/product.php?id=213) becuase that thing is simply amazing!
  6. f1av0rflave

f1av0rflave Banned

that fujistu looks pretty awesome also. the pandora though, if it plays music, firefox 3, emulators, pocket sized, then its way better then an ipod touch in my opinion
  7. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

Whenever a new iPod is released it usually is 50-100$ cheaper... I'm gonna wait and see what the new iPod is like IF it comes out

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have the apple extended warranty on my iPod so if I took it in when the new ones are released, they would run out of iPod touch's 1st gen. SOoo.. I would use *top 5 ways to get iPod replaced* and get the new one

Please Register or Log in to view images

Would that work ya think?
  8. f1av0rflave

f1av0rflave Banned

i know that. now i am thinking about saving up to get one of those
  9. bob vansteel

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    after thinking about it...i'm probably going to go for option 2, but option 3 is looking better every time i think about it. I'm definatly selling my current ipot...i'll keep new one until spet(inbox) so i can see what the pandoras full capibilities are software wise...then i'll make my desicion wheather i will go for the pandora or the ipod.

NOTE: pandora isn't an actual pc...its a mix between a open source poratble game console, and a umpc. Just thought i'd clear that one up. Some emulators sound very promising! zottd might make an n64 emulator(he already has psx working%100), a recent psp dreamcast emu nulldc might get ported, and practicly everything before psx/n64 can be ported/created easily there is even talk of a nds emu! needless to say, pandora will be the ultimate mobile emulator!
  10. bob vansteel

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    the arm processor means it isnt x86 archatecture therefore removing it from the umpc/netbook/pc category...if anything its an advanced opensource MID. But in all reality its and opensource handheld gameing device...heck, a psp can run linux,windows 98, and Mac OS 9, but that doesn't make it a umpc!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    holy crap! speaking of emulators...a dev who recieved a dev board unit, has easily ported quake II and it runs amazingly!! the fps ranges between 70 and 295!!(of course for like half a second now and then it drops to 20 or 35 but it doesn't affect anything) Its crazy fast, but best off it runs at this speed while clocked at only 600mhz....the pandoras processor can reach speeds up to 900mhz...just imagine what this device can do!!!

link to the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGz52EIVN8s

i've pretty much changed my mind, and if the 2nd gen ipod touch doesn't have any considerable improvements, i'm getting a pandora!