Need a little help with a used 2g touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Fiki2k7, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Fiki2k7

Fiki2k7 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Alright so being an avid forum user I want you guys to know I did read the stickies first before coming to post. Now that I got that out of the way I need some help regarding my used Ipod Touch. I just got this thing today, I connect it to my macbook and wait... and wait... Nothing. My macbook wont even recognize I connected something despite the fact that its charging. I go to the options menu in Itunes and the "Sync Ipod" option is not highlighted as it should be. After that I found this forum and looked into things I could do. I tried reseting my Ipod but no no avail, then I restored it and nothing. Now I just get an error message saying the ipod could not connect. I also tried emailing the person who I bought this from and she suggested pretty much what I already did. Im hoping this is a common issue and maybe I over looked something but Im not to sure. I read somewhere that if the Ipod is registered to another computer then I will be unable to sync this Ipod with any other computer. No idea if thats true, but I dont want to leave any stone unturned before I take the 40 mile drive to the nearest Ipod store and see what they say.

Edit: the error message says "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone because an unknown error has occured (0xE80000068)."

Notice it says iPhone and not iPod. Not sure if it makes a difference but there it is
  2. deaduck3

deaduck3 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    had a similar problem. here is what you do. oh and btw if it's in another person's account when itunes recognizes it, it will ask you if you want to delete everything and replace it or just keep your stuff.

what you need to do is called a dfu restore.

1. plug ipod into computer
    2. make sure it is completely off
    3. open itunes
    4. press and hold the sleep/wake button, and the home button at the same time for exactly 10 seconds
    5. after 10 seconds keep holding the home button but let go of the sleep/wake button
    6. hold the home button until itunes has a pop up that says ipod in dfu mode found or something like that.
    7. then let it do it's thing
    8. restore in itunes

problem should then be solved. if you fail at dfu the first time, turn off your touch and restart.
  3. Fiki2k7

Fiki2k7 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    This was the closest I think Iv gotten to fixing it. Im at the screen where it is giving the prompt to restore the ipod. However it is saying "Software for the Iphone is currently not avaliable, Make sure you have the latest version of iTunes and try again". So Im guessing just reinstall iTunes? I know I have the most up to date version but thats the only thing I can think of.
  4. mikeandike1994

mikeandike1994 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Do you have an ipsw firmware file on your mac, if not, download the 3.0 one and then try again. It might not be able to restore if the file is not currently on your computer.
  5. cjschriver3

cjschriver3 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    "get" a version of the firmware you want to use

shift+click the restore button in iTunes<9 (i heard 9 removed this option, go with an iTunes 8 if you can)

shift+click will allow you to browse for the firmware to restore (useful if you have multiple firmwares for some reason )

if any of this is crap, someone please correct it, just going off the top of my head here

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT :

maybe if you are on iTunes 9 you can put your firmware in the appropriate folder where iTunes looks, although i don't know where that folder is
  6. Fiki2k7

Fiki2k7 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just got the firmware 3.0 downloaded and tried to apply it to my iTouch. Again though I am getting error messages. This one is error message 2006 and it redirected me to apple's support site. I tried everything they recommended and at this point im starting to lose hope in solving this on my own. So I guess Im going to the nearest apple store and see what they can do for me.