Need a little bit of help with SSH

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by flipskater1092, Jul 4, 2010.

1. flipskater1092

flipskater1092 New Member

So I have a basic understanding of SSH and how it works. I have winscp installed and figured out basically what it what inside my ipod. I'm running 3.1.3 on a 1st gen 8gb ipod touch btw.

Now, there's a few things I want to change/do and I'm getting a little bit lost in the process. I want to change the carrier logo (not to words [i have make it mine], but to images like a company logo or something, the slide to unlock text and a few other similar things but I simply cannot figure out how. I would also like to change a few colors regarding the status bar, slide to unlock text, etc.

I changed the "FSO_CARRIER_IPOD.png" and the "Default_CARRIER_IPOD.png" files to images that I wanted but got nothing from it after a respring and a restart. I already have a winterboard theme so that could be part of the problem but I don't think that would change anything. I also googled a little bit of info in regards to changing the slide to unlock text and found the actual code string for it but it was missing a part on my ipod.

Could someone give me a step by step (minus getting Winscp, SSH instructions, etc) telling me what folders to go into and how exactly to change the file types (pictures) with exact lowercase/caps, as I know that makes a difference.

I'm also trying to figure out how to get roms onto my ipod. I got snes4iphone, NES, and psx4all but I can't for the life of me figure out how to implement them into a folder/file and get them. I created a folder in the root/var/media folder named "NES" (caps on purpose) with a "ROMs" folder inside that and I'm still not getting anything. Where exactly do I place the rom files in order for me to play them and what types of rom files will the ipod accept? I believe the files I have are .z64 format if that means anything.

I guess what I'm asking here is where do place these certain files? If someone knows of a completely full information site that describes step by step how to do all this, it'd be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. BTW I've been searching google for the past day or two trying to figure this out.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT; i took off my winterboard theme and got nothing regarding the logos
  2. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
  3. flipskater1092

Ultimately, here's what I want:

I want a logo of a company of my choice, whether that be an image or log, I want a set of wifi bars that blows everything I've seen out of the water (small drop of water to large drops of water for strength) I want the date and time to be displayed in a font I like on the top status bar, I want a custom, sick battery that changes the rasta colors (green for full, yellow for half and red for low), I want a slide to unlock text that reads "Oh baby, slide me" and a power off that says "suicide", I want a keyboard that stands out from every other one ive seen, I want actual firefox that replaces safari and I want logos that I can actually recognize what the icons mean.

That's a just a general summary but you get the idea. I honestly don't think I have the ability to make a full on theme unless I spend a week doing it so I'm asking here. If anyone can help me out with ANYTHING mentioned above, that would be amazing. Just let me know what strings to change when i SSH (exactly as it needs) and I'll try and take it step by step.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    I fully understand that I need to make my own theme, I just have no clue whatsoever how to go about that. I wouldn't know what programs to use, what codes to change, where to find/create icons, etc.

I'm sorry for the noobness I just want to get my ipod to the level I want. Google helps out quite a bit, but having input from an actual person helps out 100000000000 x more.
  4. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, you wouldn't need a full on theme. Just the pieces you want. If you want, could you post the images here of what you want and where you want them, and I'll be more than happy to set it up in a theme for you.
  5. flipskater1092

Oh for sure man. Ya, I don't really want to go through the process of making a full on theme, I just want a few small changes that are individual to my own ipod. I honestly wouldn't know where the hell to start going about making a theme. Thanks a million times over.

Here's what I'd like for the status bar:

Please Register or Log in to view images

I would kinda like this as the dock image although I have the 5 icons there:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Regarding carrier logos, I couldn't find any out there that were the proper size. I would either like it to be a green pot leaf that says "HighPod" next to it, the element skateboard logo or a $100 bill or something clever/cool. As for the date/time in the status bar, I'd like those to be in a graffiti style font, with both showing as opposed to just the time. Now for the wifi bars I'd like a rectangle box with red, gold and green.

I actually found a pretty sick theme called Alex's Theme (http://www.[PIRACY.mf].com/?igzrtwjw3fi) that I would like to try and implement onto my ipod, but I'm not sure how to go about doing it. Which files do I have to change, what names do they need to have, etc.

If someone could direct me to a step by step information site on which files to alter and how to go about doing so, please feel free to do so.

Also regarding the ROM files. I need a start from scratch type explanation on that one so if anyone can help out, that's also VERY appreciated. I found a BIOS for the gameboy emulator, but cydia forbids it from downloading.