Need a large quick response to iPod 4g Poll for engineering assignement!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lc1992, Sep 29, 2010.

?

Should Apple have redesigned the easily scratchable backplate of the new iPod Touch?

1. Yes

57 vote(s)
    81.4%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    8.6%
  3. Impartial

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. lc1992

lc1992 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'm taking a poll regarding feedback of the iPod Touch 4th Gen.'s chrome back-plate. I'm using it as an example of a 'bad design' due to it's high probability of becoming scratched.

My argument is:

Thousands of third party cases have been designed specifically to prevent damage to the back of iPods, yet Apple continues to create a chrome finish. In addition, thousands of dollars goes to paying for these protective cases. In fact, Apple acknowledges and supports third party cases designed to protect the iPod from scratches (yet the iPhone has a different backplate...hmmm). Perhaps a simple redsign of the back of the iPod could have fixed this problem? There's more to the argument but I really can't dwell too much. Thanks for the vote!
  2. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    The chrome back will never change. It has been on the back of every major iPod (except the shuffle). All iPods started out with it and Apple won't change it. Everyone hates it, but it's something to live with. No one has ever decided not to buy an iPod because it's back side scratched easily. When this happens, a lot, then Apple will change their minds.
  3. yanks111890

yanks111890 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Not the mini or nanos (2g, 4g, 5g).....

I really think they should change it, but I still buy a case and full body protection so it really doesn't matter.
  4. lc1992

lc1992 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The point is "Do you think Apple should have redesigned the back," not "are they going to."

Please Register or Log in to view images

I see your point though, tinyman.
  5. iJailbreakk

iJailbreakk Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    My 2g nano doesnt have it, it has scratched but its 5-6 years old...that will happen :\
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Yes, i think apple should redesign the backing, many people actualy debate getting the iPod because of the scratchable back, abd most cases dont do a good job of protection anyways. I think they would sell a lot more iPods if they switched to something just as shiney but not as scratchable.
  6. touchfan092

touchfan092 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    i think they should have, personally i think the device would look better without the shiny backing not just because of how many scratches it gets but also how it is a fingerprint magnet. but alas it is highly unlikely that they will change it.
  7. lc1992

lc1992 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yea with so much focus on the aesthetics of the ipod, it's ignorant of apple to continue to produce ipods with the type of backplate. Any more thoughts? I need to keep this thread bumpin to get more votes haha

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. ChrisGonzales90

ChrisGonzales90 Banned

Device:
    iPad
    Eirther the iphone backing or even the iPad backing would do better then the ugly chrome.
  9. iBricked

iBricked Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    The back is probably like trademark or standard, but why not on the nano, this is what surprises me. A simple redesign would fix the problem, but it may result in the end of cases and apple would lose all the revenue in cases. Or at least some revenue because some people may still buy a case to protect the back (not me).
  10. lc1992

lc1992 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Apple doesn't gain any revenue in cases though. They don't produce ANY high-demand protective cases for their products. We know names like Griffin and inCase for a reason. It just baffles me haha