Need a cheap iPod dock? Look here!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sdschramm, May 27, 2009.

1. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    COPIED FROM FATTWALLET AND SLICK DEALS:
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/927721/m13819344#m13819344

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?p=19962871#post19962871

I was in my local Radio Shack and found this little gem on clearance for only $1.97! Original price was over $50 I believe. I asked an RS employee(you know, those people that ask you if you need help every 60 seconds?) and I asked why it was so cheap? Was it a return? Missing anything? Does it not work? He looked at it and said, he didn't know and that it was probably so cheap because it was for "older" iPod's and no one wanted it. I looked at it a little closer and yes, it was meant for the iPod Photo, first gen Nano and anyone remember the iPod Mini?

As smart as I am, I bought it anyways even though I have an iPod Touch. Why? Because the dock connector is the same so I figured it would at least charge my iPod and provide stereo audio out if not anything else. I knew the video out and remote wouldn't wouldn't work with my touch, but I was OK with that because I bought the "real" Apple AV dock for 60% off when Circuit City was going out of business. (The apple AV dock was still $40 even after the discounts for both the dock/remote and TV cable!)

Anyways, I took it home, hooked it up and was very surprised! Audio out works great (it provides LINE LEVEL sound out) and the AC plug charges it as well. The video out did not work as I thought (even tried "TV out" and "ScreenSpliter" available from Cydia/Icy, neither of which worked, but does work on my Apple dock)

Another surprise was the remote - it works and even does MORE then the Apple remote! You can navigate menus, playlists, etc with the remote, where as you can't do that with the apple remote.

I don't know how well the USB works, as I just got my MacBook back from repair and haven't had time to test the syncing from iTunes, but i'd suspect that would work just fine.

So all in all, it is a real bargain if you can find this on clearance. Even if you can find one for under $20, I would buy it if I were you.

Also, in case everyone asks, yes my iPod fits fine on the dock. It comes with 4 or 5 different adapters deepening on your iPod, but I just used the iPod photo adapter (I think that is what is was for) and my touch fits perfectly. No worries about it scraping the sides (too small) or wobbling out (too big)

HERE ARE SOME PICTURES:

This is what it looks like:

Please Register or Log in to view images

Box Front:

Box Back:

Receipt:

Remote:

Rear View with remote holder:

Good Luck in finding one!
    -Scott
  2. gammaraptor

gammaraptor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Nice Post, but I think you should have put this in the accessories section
  3. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Nice find! Unfortunately, I own a much more expensive iHome, though it looks like this would have been a good alternative. Quick word of caution: this probably won't work with the 2nd gen iPod touch because it uses a different battery.
    Quick word #2: I have also found the iHome remotes to be very useful. The can toggle shuffle and repeat, change volume, navigate the music app, and a lot more.