Need 3.1.3 before spirit jailbreak?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by carya, May 3, 2010.

1. carya

carya New Member

Rush to download 3.1.3 before Apple patches it?

I am running 3.1.2 but don't have SHSH saved for it. I never upgraded to 3.1.3, but I used umbrella to save SHSH for 3.1.3. Do I need to quickly upgrade my ipod to 3.1.3 before apple patches it?
  2. Rafy0003

Rafy0003 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    No you don't...

"Any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch on firmware 3.1.2, 3.1.3, or 3.2." Taken from Sprit webpage.

Source: http://spiritjb.com/
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Unless your currently jailbroken, Then you will need to restore.
  3. carya

carya New Member

Clarification

Sorry, I wasn't clear about what I was asking before. I can never restore to 3.1.2 bc I didn't save the SHSH. I saved the SHSH for 3.1.3, but never downloaded it to tunes because I didn't want to upgtrade from 3.1.2 due to no jailbreak being available,
    *** so do I now need to get a "copy" of 3.1.3 on my iTunes before Apple patches it?***
    This would be so I could downgrade back to 3.1.3 at some time in the future

I have a 32 gig 3rd gen ipod.
  4. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    get iTunes to download it but prompt to update...
  5. carya

carya New Member

When I first got my itouch, itunes prompted my to update to 3.1.3, but I declined. Does that mean I'm covered? I didn't do anything to download 3.1.3, iTunes asked me something about it and I said no. I'm not sure if it downloaded.
    Do I have to rush to do anything before Apple patches the hole?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    The title of this thread is poorly chosen. I should have made it
    "Rush to download 3.1.3 before Apple patches it?" I can't see a way to change the title, maybe an admin can do this for me?
  6. richardarkless

richardarkless Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Im confused what exactly do you want?

you can safely jailbreak 3.1.3

the only time apple will fix this flaw is when they are making a new version of their iphone os which is 4.0 which is months away and they currently aint planning to release 3.1.4 or 3.2.1

you dont need any shsh or anything like that, that is only needed if I am correct if you want to downgrade (from 3.1.3 to 3.1.2)
  7. carya

carya New Member

I'm interested in having the files saved locally so I can restore (downgrade) to 3.1.3 in the future. In another thread, ChrisL told me to save my 3.1.3 SHSH file and 3.1.3 IPSW file(ipsw from the iphone wiki site) in order to have the stuff I need. I didn't know I needed the IPSW.

I was worried about this post in the status of 3g jailbreak thread:

"Originally Posted by bboymickey
    well comex said that the last userland jailbreak was patched within a day so I hope everyone saved their SHSH thingy..... "

What you said was what I had been thinking- that I had time to upgrade to 3.1.3 before apple releases 4.0 in June.
  8. richardarkless

richardarkless Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    oh I see so your just preparing for the worst

What I would do is put off upgrading to another firmware until you are 100% sure that it is jailbreakable

If you did accidentally upgrade then you would need the shsh files and the ipsw. when you download a firmware in itunes it saves it to a temporary location, I would lookup where it is kept so you can back it up
  9. Notorious97

Notorious97 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i have read on here about the possibility of accidently upgrading firmwares.....which is why we back up SHSH.

Is it possible for Apple to force an upgrade on you or can you stay 3.1.3 jailbroken for life if you wish?
  10. richardarkless

richardarkless Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It is possible bit like automatic updates where it automatically installs an update but currently apple hasn't implemented it into itunes to check the version of the ipod/ipad/iphone and automatically download and install the firmware

I think the worst that could currently happen is that you cant install newer apps from the app store