Nee help charging iPod touch - detailed question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by wildman279, Jan 31, 2010.

1. wildman279

wildman279 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I recently got an iPod touch (2nd generation) and I am looking for something to charge it with besides my computer. Apple decided to make the iPod touch pretty picky about what can charge it, so my old FireWire charger no longer works like it did with my nano.

I looked around my house for things with USB power, I found a 4 port USB hub with an external adapter. Here is where I run into problems. If the hub's plugged into the computer, then my iTouch will charge and sync just fine. But with just the hub's AC adapter plugged in and then the iTouch into that, it won't charge. But here is why I am concerned.
    I took the thing apart and checked with my volt meter and even when not plugged into USB, the hub is still providing the +5V to USB pin 1 like it should (with pin 4 being the ground). Also, my iPod nano (2nd generation) charges just fine with only the hub and the power supply, and so does my phone with its USB cable, but my iPod touch does not.

What can I do to make this work right? I think that the iPod touch wants a USB signal as well as power, is there a way to bypass this? I'm not afraid to solder anything on the hub, and my iPod is jailbroken so I can install anything from Cydia.

Thanks if anyone can help me make this work.

P.S. Please don't just post links to AC USB power adapters, I don't want to buy anything because if I did, then I wouldn't be posting this.