Necessary skin?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Satka, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Satka

Satka New Member

Hi there,
    I just received my Touch 2G, and the inevitable question arises: should I protect my Touch?

I think it's a difficult choice: keep the pure beauty of its shiny body intact, or add a skin to it?
    I read a lot of reviews, and the Invisible Shield, Best Skin Ever, BodyGuardz seem to be equivalent solutions.
    They are not all that easy to apply though, and most of all, you lose the perfectly smoothness and shininess once they are applied (example here)

I even considered a more drastic solution (SwitchEasy's Rebel case) but in that case (pun intended), the form factor itself is altered, even if I find the result beautiful.
    A bulkier Touch is not what I had in mind

So ... considering my usage of the iPod Touch, do I really need a skin? What's your experience with "naked" Touch/iPhone?

- I will carry the Touch around in a jacket or trousers pocket
    - I won't keep keys or change (or sand!) in the same pocket
    - I'm not working in a dusty or dangerous environment (I think

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  2. PG21

PG21 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    I'd say get a skin for the back, it will still be pretty shiny afterwards... Don't know if you ever tried these skins on the screen but it will create a bucketful of friction, so I would consider finding another shield for the screen, or not putting one.

Maybe the belkin silicon sleeve that just came out might be for you? (front page)
  3. lewyboi9493

lewyboi9493 Member

also get a screen protector, ive had my touch since april and it has small scratches across it.
  4. Frozen72

Frozen72 New Member

Yes. I don't' care what people say. I have a few very minor scratches on my screen and they are VERY irritating.
  5. atomicmufin

atomicmufin Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    definately get one.
    if not a case, get a screen protector.
  6. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    yup get one get a silicon case and then a screen protecter
  7. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

Get sport grip from Marware, it's the best.
  8. Satka

Satka New Member

Thank you all for your advice.
    After much thinking, I finally chose SwitchEasy's Rebel Case for my Touch 2G

And I'm really happy with it: the skin comes with a boatful of goodies, and two screen protections.

My biggest concern was the size (I didn't want a bulky iPod).
    But after a few days using it, I'm relieved: my iPod is protected, still somewhat slim, and good looking!
  9. lqv2015

lqv2015 New Member

I would have said get a film. IS, BSE, etc.

It doesn't add any bulk to the touch, but careful not to drop it.

I've tried a few cases. Griffin's iClear, cheap leather case, Incase protective cover and I end up taking it all off for the slim feel of the touch. I'll have it on when I'm running or doing anything active where it can drop. But majority of the time, its nice to have it almost naked.

The installation difficulty are false facts I believe. They're pretty simple to apply. I didn't even try that hard & it's on perfect.

Also the fact that you think the orange peel feel takes away the smooth feeling is a bad thing. I prefer a better grip on the already slippery device. And I really do think the texture effect makes it look very unique. But hey, that's just me.

10. Satka

Satka New Member

I agree with you.

Actually my intention with the Rebel Case is to put it on only when I'm going out in iPod-hostile conditions
    The rest of the time, it only has its protective film on (which btw doesn't hinder the touch experience at all)
    Now, will I go through the hassle of putting the case on and off (it is a tight fit) ... that remains to be seen. For the moment, the case is on, and I'm happy with it.
    I might take it off to wonder myself at its slickness though

My "lost smoothness" fear might have been irrational I admit, and after using SwitchEasy's front protection (which is not the same as IS or BSE I think), I'm quite reconciled with the added skin concept