Native Video Recording on iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by xXrkidXx, Mar 11, 2010.

1. xXrkidXx

xXrkidXx Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Well I just came across something pretty old.. blackra1nb0w. And when I looked further into it, I found a thread on ModMyI where they were talking about modding a Plist and being able to bring up the switch for the video/camera. The problem was that they couldnt get the shutter to open for some reason.. Well I have a theory for just that.

What If somebody compared the plists and found out where the whole camera thing is. Because when Apple upgraded the camera, it became different hardware, right? could there just be a simple line of code(depicting the camera hardware) that we would need to change to get this working?

Am I allowed to post the original thread here? because I find this seriously interesting..

Towards the end I read a post about somebody knowing somebody who works for Apple and the 3G having native video recording in the 3.0 betas.. Could they possibly have made the plist with the changed line of code for us?

EDIT

I guarantee that if somebody would SSH into there 3G they would find the icons required for the video camera.. I mean it will be there because on my iPod touch, when I used to SSH into it I could find Cell bar icons.

:O Its been done. http://modmyi.com/forums/file-mods/691522-project-native-video-recording-iphone-2g-3g.html
    It works but so far the videos aren't clear.. Not sure about sound recording.. Will look further into the thread!

EDIT

Audio records

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you look on app store, there are some realllyyyyy, and i mean REALLY secret apps that allow you to do this, of course for a price, but would you rather wait for god knows how long for someone to do whats been suggested, done, tried, and failed, or pay like a dollar and get it today?

Few links:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ivideocamera-record-video/id332166209?mt=8
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/record-video-on-iphone-2g/id348638379?mt=8
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camcorder-for-iphone-3g-and-2g/id333188712?mt=8
  3. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    their not oo expensive. but theyre crap. yea ur doing the right thing
  4. xXrkidXx

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    True, but I would prefer to be able to do it natively. it looks so much better in the actual video recording app. Well, not the result lol

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Dono how its gonna get much better if the fps rate has a cap, so either way, its not getting better. Your options are cycorder, or buy an app, Since with apps out on app store, doubt anyone would actually waste time to do all this coding just because you want native recording lol

Edit:
    Also, if you do the mod, tap to focus wont work since its a feature the 3G camera lacks.
  6. xXrkidXx

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    There are about 2 threads on ModMyI with over 100 posts each on the subject. I don't think I'm the only one who wants this.

If we could figure out what caused the green tint we could completely get rid of it and make it record normally.
  7. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Use logic and honestly think, if your a developer, would you develop something thats already out and works just because a few 100 people want it, and then to just give it to you for free too? Dude now really, better off with a purchased app, since i can promise you, you'll probably end up buying one of them even if you do this.

Edit:

Btw, out of the 100 posts, take out the people who have posted more then once lol.
  8. xXrkidXx

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    That's great for you. But seeing as there have been people who have been able to get this project this far along, I think i'll still root for them. If I end up needing a video recorder, and this never does get finished then yea, I will buy one of the apps. But I probably wont ever need It just might be something useful.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    If look around on youtube and check out the videos of it working, it has tap to focus, just a little box comes up where you tap.
  9. jalexis4192

jalexis4192 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey, im not the one wasting time for something thats really a waste of time if its been made.

Edit:
    And having the box doesn't mean it works, again, its a 3GS camera feature, just cause they get it to work, doesn't mean it WORKS, watch vids, and im sure they mention its just a feature that can be enabled and not actually works. Also, compare pictures and you wont see a difference from before and after. Trust me, i've done my research into all this.
  10. xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx

xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    BuMp

could the iphone 3gs camera be fitted in the 3g?