n96 to iphone (help needed)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamespheely, Mar 30, 2009.

1. jamespheely

jamespheely Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    hey guys i have an n96 on contract (18 months) only started in october but i want to get an iphone, so i have a few questions...

1) if i jailbreak using yellowsnow can i use my contract sim in an iphone and continue with the same contract?

2) how will this leave my n96? its currently on vodafone will this take any other sim card or any other vodafone sim card allowing me to sell on ebay? or will it just accept my sim?

thanks guys

much appreciated

james
  2. ZunePod

ZunePod Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Yellowsn0w will work as long as you make sure that the firmware is 2.2, then you need to use pwnage to upgrade without baseband.

As for the N96, I'm sure you could unlock it and eBay it
  3. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

You have to jailbreak first and then use YellowSn0w to unlock the iphone.

The jailbreak is doable on any iPhone (to date). The unlock cannot be done to a 3G that has been upgraded at any point to 2.2.1.

Once you have an unlocked iPhone your Vodaphone SIM will work in it. I am not sure where you are at but your N96 may already be unlocked. Most phones I have gotten outside the U.S. have been unlocked but maybe that is just where I travel.

It might be a good idea to hang onto your N96 incase something ever happens with the iPhone; I keep a spare (cheap ass) phone around incase I do something with my iPhone.
  4. jamespheely

jamespheely Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    so im in the uk and if i buy a brand new iphone on pay as you go from the carphone warehouse will it be jailbreakble and unlockabke
  5. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

It depends if that brand new phone is a 3G (assuming it is) and if it has been upgraded to the latest baseband. Even if the iPhone is on an earlier software if it has ever been upgraded to 2.2.1 there is no unlock for it at this time. This is only true with the 3G. To date any 2G is unlockable.

There is no way to check the 3G without powering it on but even then I am not sure how to check it without having an "activated" phone. There may be a way to check it but I don't know how.